02. SILENCING STATEMENTS

THE CONJURING

CHAPTER TWO: SILENCING STATEMENTS

FOR Marley, the inside of the courthouse was what dreams were made of

While it was small, it featured many different paths, all leading to separate courtrooms, one of which Ms. Andrews and her pupil would be welcomed into, by most.

So as she strode behind her teacher she found her eyes continuously shifting to the walls to gaze upon all the paintings and to the staircase leading to the second floor, it had a dark railing with small bits of a gold-like color embedded within, it was gorgeous.

Glancing over her shoulder to make sure the girl was still with her, Ms. Andrews slightly turned to her left to head down a hallway unlike the rest, this one was longer and the doors weren't as spaced out as the others, they were much closer, almost as if they were small waiting rooms.

Furrowing her brows, Marley continued to wordlessly follow behind her teacher, after all, she was the professional.

The girl was but a spectator today.

Or so she hoped.

Within moments, Marley found herself consumed by her thoughts, more so the wonder of who the client was going to be, what were their charges?

What was the sentence the prosecutor's office was going for?

Were they supposed to be the prosecuting attorneys?

The girl shook her head, the more she thought about it the more confusing it got, all she had to do was focus on what was in front of her, that was what she did best at.

Letting her eyes flick up from where they'd rested upon the glassy tile, Marley quickly stopped as her teacher did the same, however, Ms. Andrews had stopped to talk to an officer standing in front of a door.

Gesturing to the door, Ms. Andrews began to explain and within moments had pulled her I.D from her purse to show to the man. Giving it a slow once over, the man hesitantly pulled the door open before stepping to the side for the two women.

Upon entering, the first face Marley saw was that of a young male that looked as if he hadn't seen a good night of sleep for weeks. The second was a female maybe a few months older than her that stared back at her with tear-stained cheeks.

She could only guess the male was the client, more or less because he was wearing a county jail jumpsuit.

Ms. Andrews was the first of the two females to sit, and she sat directly across from the male, neither spoke for several moments, not until the woman had opened her briefcase and removed her papers.