Chapter 11

(Overview chapter brought to you by Luz impersonating Major Horton to fuck with Sobel)

The next few months were hell.
I talked to my parents again and told them that there was nothing they could do or say because I had already enlisted. I would be shipping off to Basic Training Camp in July.
After told them about my actions, they were upset, but not unwilling to talk about it.
They were both extremely upset that I did exactly what they told me not to do, only because they were afraid of losing me, which was obvious.
I somewhat apologized buy there was still nothing they could do about it. I was a grown woman and I wasn't living in their house. I knew them telling people wouldn't be a problem. They were my parents. We decided that if anyone asked where I was going in July, we would tell them I was going to Alabama to visit relatives. After I left, I told Momma I didn't care if she told everyone I went to basic for combat training.
The months dragged on and the wait seemed like an eternity. I kept cleaning houses and waiting for July to come.
Eventually, the weather started to get warmer and the hugs came out to pester us all day and all night, and the days became longer and I knew that the time was coming soon.
By May, I was do anxious for Basic, I couldn't contain my excitement. I couldn't believe I was actually going to train with the paratroopers like a real soldier. Even if I had to be a soldier boy. I was fine with that. As long as I was a soldier.
Soon enough, the 2 remaining months turned into 5 weeks and even sooner, those weeks turned into 10 days. Then 6, then 4, then only 1 more day until I would be leaving.
That last day before I left, I had to go back down to the town square to get my uniform.
I had to wear my brother's clothes again so that I could pick up my stuff, but it wasn't a problem.
After learning where to put everything and how to wear it, I headed home.
The next day was going to be a big one.
The bus left for Camp Toccoa at 6:30 the next morning. It was time for my goodbyes.