Rules of survival. Chapter 1: Refuge

"The loved ones that we've lost now roam around these streets killing others. It's very tragic, and hard on everyone. I know, but we need to know how to kill these things, as many call them "Biters." And please, PLEASE' be very safe out there, I don't want to see no more people die then they already have." Gabriel said.

Everyone is the room had that scared face on them, even me. I know I lost a lot of people and I um... I don't know what even happened to my parents. And I could say the same for another kid I know here. Ben... Ben Paul. But that can wait for another time. I'm Citlali or Lali for short. We're here at the Stone Mountain High School in Georgia, we took refuge when those "Biters" came or whatever. I just want to go home, to my parents. Shit. I just hope they're okay. And my little brother. I hope we can get out of here soon. We've been here only for a little bit, hiding in the gym with the doors locked. In the locker rooms. None of my friends are here and I hope they're okay. I hope we can get out of here. I mean do we even have food? I don't know.

"We don't have much food, so if we stay in here for a while, which it seems like. We're gonna have to share." David says.

"What do we have left?" Travis asks curiously

"Not much. Just a couple of candy bars." He replies

At lease I still have my own. Maybe in times like this, it's best to keep to myself. I mean half these people I don't even know, Travis always is by Ben and I have no interest in them. David is one of our teachers and maybe one of my favorite, Gabriel is another teacher of mine and he's fine. And the other people that are here are... Jenny, Derrick, and that's about it. Everyone else I never really talk to. I hope my friend Amelia is okay.

My friend Jenna comes over, "These are some Shitty times aren't they?" She says.

"Yeah... I just want to go home already." I say concerned.

"Same, I mean I don't what I'll do if we stay here all night not knowing what's going outside. I mean look at everyone. That person is panicking, she's on her phone, those guys are laughing. He's sleeping. And we're here talking. I mean what's going outside of those walls. Where's our parents and friends. I'd rather be out there then here." Jenny says.

I look at her with a concerned look. "I don't think you would want to be out there. Have you seen what those things done?" I ask her and bring my head up.

"Well, I seen..." She takes a long pause.

"I seen my one friend eaten... As I walked up... So yes. I do know what they do."

"I'm sorry." I say softly.

"Yeah... So-" as she was talking their were bangs on the gym doors.

The teachers ran over, but there was a chair holding the doors together.

"Everybody be quiet." Gabriel says very softly.

That one kid that was panicking was having a panic attack, he couldn't breath. I didn't know who it was. But the people tried to calm him down. But I don't think the biters could here.

I looked back at the door... Seeing it move... It looked like it was about to burst open. But it kept on fighting. After several minutes it all stopped.

"Jesus... This is gonna be one long day. Huh?" David says.

I sigh. "I wanna get out of here already. I wanna go home." I keep saying.

"Yeah I do too. So... How bout we just fall asleep. And maybe when we'll walk up this will be over or something. Or that's at least what I'm gonna do. So whatever. Goodnight." Jenny says causally.

"You're just gonna fall asleep their?" I ask even though I know the answer already.

"Well yeah, where else? Duh?" She says sarcastically.

"Mkay then. Well, I guess I'm gonna fall asleep too. And let's just hope that when we wake up these is all over." I say.

"Yeah, that's all we can do right?" She asks.

"Yeah... Yeah..."