Augury

Arnav let go of Khushi abruptly and opened the door...

Naani came into the room with Manorama and Payal in tow, panic written all over their faces.

Khushi looked at each of their faces, and Manorama glared back at her....

Khushi held Manorama's gaze scowling at her. Not used to a Khushi who looked back at her instead of looking at the floor, Manorama's face registered suprise for a split second before she turned her gaze to Arnav..

"Chhote, Anjali has left the house...She left this note saying she is leaving with Shyam and that we should not try to contact her or look for her..." Naani paused for a moment.. "especially you..."

Arnav took the letter from her and as he read through it despair and helplessness clawed at him. Anjali was his responsibility and she was in imminent danger.
The letter said she was with Shyam and that they were going away forever. Arnav knew better. If his hunch was correct Shyam had a very diabolical plan in mind.

"She didn't take her cell phone with her Chhote..."

Manorama found that opportunity to start a tirade against her favourite toy...

"I knew it! I knew it the day this inauspicious girl entered our house! You should never have married her Arnav...now look at us.. my daughter, my Anjali is missing and is with a man who can't be trusted with his own child..." She said looking at Khushi, eyes shooting vehement hatred for Khushi. It was almost palpable in the room.

Arnav's mind was coming up with all the possible scenarios of Anjali and every thought lead to a very bleak outcome. Shyam was not someone who would show mercy. He was the personification of evil.

"Manorama this is not the time!" Naani chided her sternly while looking at Khushi, contrite at her daughter in law's ill behaviour...

Khushi shook her head at Naani telling her silently that she didn't take it to heart..

She didn't mind actually....She had a lot of things in mind, lots to say where Manorama and Co. were concerned...
All in good time...

Arnav scrunched the paper in his hands and walked out of the room taking his car keys with him.

Khushi waited till Arnav was out of the room and levelled her eyes at Manorama...

Narrowing them she told Manorama in a tone that was meant to deliver a threat...

"Naani is right...This is not the time to indulge in petty politics Mamiji.. I assure you, I will get back to you on what you said...for now we need to make every possible effort to find Anjali ji...as you must have realised she is in great danger..."

Akash was in the outhouse working and met Arnav downstairs...Arnav made some phone calls and Akash went to get his car keys...

The whole family had gathered in the dining room, no one sure as to what to do...

"We are informing the police right?." Khushi asked Arnav...

"We don't want your advice.. She categorically told us not to contact the police.. " Manorama bit out.

Khushi looked at Manorama baffled at her stupidity..
How could someone be this obtuse and wicked at the same time?

"Mamiji, I remember she insisted on bringing Shyam back in the house too. I don't recall anyone following through with that. We don't have to do what she says. Everything that is being done is for her good.."  Khushi said.

That shut Manorama up and she eyed Khushi a little nervously..Talking back was not one of Khushi's speciality up until now....
Khushi now had a calmness that was disconcerting to everyone now...