13 years

John and Sherlock walked into the orphanage, hearts beating too fast to be normal.

Out of fear, probably, Sherlock thought. He have John a look of encouragement and dragged him further in. A little girl started crying from another room.

"My brothers!" She shouts, "Don't take my brother away, please!" John looked over to the door that was slightly cracked open and noticed she was clinging on to two little boys while she sobbed. Her raven hair was pulled into a braid that the little blonde hair boy was entranced with.

"Um, pardon me, but what do you think you're doing?" John butted in.

"Her parents just died in a fire." A tired look woman sighed, "We want to put the boys in the boys sleeping quarters and the girl with the other girls but she refuses to let them go." Sherlock wandered over to the girl, kneeling next to her.

"Hello, I'm Sherlock." Sherlock smiles kindly, talking in a gentle voice, "You are?"

"Mazie." The little girl sniffs, "They're going to take my brothers."

"Do you understand what's going on?" Sherlock asks.

"Mommy and Daddy died. They're never coming back for me." Mazie squeezes her brother tighter.

"Do you want two new daddies?" Sherlock raises his eyebrows towards John.

Three? John mouthed. Sherlock shrugs. John shrugs and kneels next to his husband.

"Two daddies?" Mazie seemed suspicious, "You mean, like a mom replace with a dad?"

"Yes, Mazie." Sherlock nods.

"It wouldn't be the worst thing." Maxie sniffs, "Do I get to keep my brothers?"

"Of course." John smirks, "Do they have names?" Mazie squints down at the two younger boys, searching for their names.

"Ha... Ha... Hamish and... and... Um... Will, I think." Mazie crinkles her nose, "Yeah Hamish and Will."

"Hamish?" John snorted, "Really?"

"Yeah." Mazie let go of the black haired one, "Hamish."

"Can we adopt these three?" Sherlock asks.

"Two three year olds and one five year old? Are you sure?" The woman raises her eyebrows.

"Positive." Sherlock and John say at the same time.