Chapter 3 The Reaping

Cato walks me home. " Guess I'll see you at the Reaping " he says " Yeah " I say " I'll be there " he's walking off when he says " ill give you your piece of game tonight! " and runs back home. I slip into the house silently. At least Caleb is still sound asleep but ill have to wake him up soon. I make him a small omelet with ham and cheese. Actually I don't have to wake him because he comes down himself. All dressed and ready.

" Caleb! " I smile " We'll done! "

He looks smart with his pants that use to be Dads and his beige button up top. The pants only just fit him so I have to put a tight belt around his waist.

" That's Better hey? "

" Yeah way better " he says happily. " Look what I made You! " he glances at the table and runs to it. He loves omelettes though he has only had one or two in his life because eggs are so expensive.

" yum! " he says " what did you have for breakfast? "

Oh.. I ah ate an apple " I had not even eaten all morning but Caleb seemed to buy it. " Caleb I need to go get dressed I be down in a minute. " I run upstairs and pull on my dress It has beautiful flowers on it. Some I have seen in the woods before. And it has a white background. It's the best piece of clothing I own. So I wear it. When I'm downstairs Caleb is already at the door with his shoes on and his dirty dishes in the sink. I change my shoes to my blue slip-ons. " let's go " I say and we start to head over. As we are walking we hear the horn that signals for everyone to come to the square so you can possibly be chosen to fight to the death. In the the distance I see Peacekeepers pushing people along. Suddenly Caleb stops and stares at something. I look in the direction he's looking. He's staring at the blood station. I look back to him. " W.. What's that? " he looks absolutely terrified " oh that it's nothing they just take a little blood it doesn't hurt just a prick. " he takes a deep breath and starts walking. He looks back at me I nod my head smile and hold his hand. He holds it so tight I can't feel my hand. " Next! " It comes to his turn he steps up and passes out his hand. I hear the sound of the needle entering his finger I see a tear well up in his eye but he holds it in. "Next!" Says the lady I give her my hand and watch Caleb walk over to the little boys in the front. It doesn't hurt because I'm use to it. I walk forwards and find a spot in the middle row. I glance over to the boys and find Cato staring at me I smile and mouth " where's Caleb? " he points towards the front and I see his dark mop of hair. " thanks " I mouth and he mouths " No Problem " and smiles he looks to the front where I see a young lady maybe in her thirties, very dressed up and wearing a very deep blue large and poofy skirt. She is also wearing a perple peplum shirt. " hello happy hunger games and may the odds be ever in your Favor. Now we have a very special video from the Capitol." We watch the video and towards the end I glance at her and she is mouthing the final words. " right as always ladies first. " she walks over to a glass bowl and dips her hand in. She searches for the perfect slip. She pulls out a slip and unfolds it. She takes a breath and loudly says...

" Clove Stillen. "