Chapter 7

Yes. I thought I had escaped. But I could never be so wrong.

I hear an unsual cracking/snapping sound and a second later I am tangling in a net. This net is really small and tight though so the more I move, the more caught I get. I tried to shift but that just caught my arm in the bottom of the net so now I can't move it. My other hand is stuck in one of the small holes so I can't move that either. My feet are stuck in an awkward position bent behind my back. I can't move. At all.

I try to reach my knife from my belt. My fingers scrape the tip of the handle but I can't quite grip it in my position. I pull as hard as I can, which tightens the rope around my wrists, but I can grab it. Now comes the problem of cutting the rope so I can get out.

The hand behind my back is completely tied up, so I begin hacking away at the rope beneath me. I have to cling to the left-over rope as the bottom gives away, and when my hand is finally free my bow, spear, and I fall 12 feet to the ground.

A new problem occurs immediately. Kaden materializes from a clump of leaves, and it's obvious that he wants me dead very badly. He throws a spear, which I duck. The tip catches a few of my hairs and the spear flies into a thick thorn bush.

Weaonless now, he barrels toward me. I pull out my sword and slash the air, but even though the sword is small, it's heavy, so I miss him easily. He crashes into me with such force that we do some somersaults. He lands on top and pins me down. His fingers wrap around my neck and block my windpipe.

Suddenly a cannon is heard. Then a second. Kaden looks up and stops choking me, but he keeps me pinned to the ground. A picture of Karmen materializes in the sky, then of Amethyst. I can't help wondering how on earth they could have been killed, because Amethyst was so active and good with weapons and Karmen was just a pice of work. Kaden's face turns grave, and I wonder if he liked either of them.

A minute later, Felix and Girl 4 appar from some thick fat leaves. Their faces looked tired and shocked and they have no weapons. "We were attacked by the boy from 11," says Felix. "He took our weapons, slit Karmen and Amethyst's throats, but me and Avery managed to fend him off."

Oh. Avery. That's Girl 4's name.

"You got her!" says Avery, suddenly excited, and she looks at me.

"Yeah," Kaden says proudly. That makes anger flood through me and I punch him as hard as I can in the face.

Poor kid. He's just prone to getting punched.

He slides off me from the force and lands on his back. My knuckles are throbbing and I jump to my feet and massage them. Kaden is still on the ground, so maybe I can actually get away again. I scoop up my bow and spear and run hard.

"Get her!" commands Kaden and he scrambles to his feet. I jump over a large log and almost fall but I regain my balance. only about 15 feet away, Kaden leads the three of them, running wildly, Avery follows at his heels, and Felix jogs along about ten feet behind, looking not excited at all. They clear the log easily.

Eventually, I hear their angry voices fade away in the night. Boy 11 must have really wore them out, because it looks like they've given up on me again. But that doesn't mean I am not totally out of breath. My tongue literally lolls out and I pant like a dog. I lean against a tree and rest.

When I get up and start to move again, I find that I in range of another tribute. We run into each other and my spear falls out of my hands and I can't see it in the dark. A loud squeal is heard from the other person. It a girl, clearly.

I automatically pull an arrow from my quiver and load my bow with it. "Amber!" the other girl says in a whisper before I can shoot her.

"Who is it?" I demand.