TWENTY-FOUR

Seema had sent me the address to this place, and I needed to wear the proper dress code. This morning I had just put on a sundress, flip-flops, and a jacket in case it gets cold later.

A waiter asked how many, but I spotted the back of Seema's head and ushered myself to her.

I made my way to her table and sat the opposite her.

"Lily, darling," Seema put down a glass of red wine. "You came."

"Nana, why are you here?" Not sounding rude, but curious. "I thought you were in India."

"I was," pick up her glass and swirled the red wine slowly. "I only came back for business and to see you before I leave tomorrow."

That's quick.

"Okay." I already feel she is here not only for business; otherwise, she would want us to avoid meeting. This isn't a grandmother visiting her granddaughter.

A waitress came by our table minutes later and asked for my order.

"Order anything," Seema says to me.

I wasn't hungry. Later I will meet Effie at the mall, shopping for baby clothes for Zara. I still do not use Effie being a teenage mom. At one point, I thought it was a joke and her sister was adopting the baby. Another thing, she felt terrible I was pregnant, and she was envious of having a child of her own, so assuming Zara into her care would make her feel better. Even her family couldn't argue with her. If her parents were alive, I bet they would say no.

A big fat NO.

Once the waiter had taken our order, I sat and waited, twirling my fingers while Seema took every second sipping her wine. I drank wine once when I was eight during my communion and have hated the taste ever since. Every mass, I only take bread and not wine. It's strong, and to me, it's tasteless.

"So, Lily," Seema moves her wine glass, creating motion to her wine. "How are you and Liam? Have you started the preparation for the wedding? Your Nani and I expect a wedding before we our traditional way."

"I skimmed through wedding dresses," liar. "I even checked out the venue." Fucking liar.

"Splendid," she put the glass down. "The venue has to be someplace more efficient."

If I were to pick a place to celebrate my wedding, she would prefer something other than a park or backyard. Seema is the type of person who only sees green and large rocks. Lying about looking at wedding dresses and venues, she will figure out soon that Liam and I aren't together. We have never been together, and I'm pregnant with his child. The child does not care or want. I hugged my cardigan tighter around my stomach.

"Are you cold, dear?"

My whole body flinches. "No-no, I'm not."

"You have brought something warmer. California's weather can sometimes be associated with someone with a child."

My heart stopped at that right moment once she said the word child. I slowly lifted my eyes and saw her with her wine glass again, looking like fucking Cruella DeVil as if she was about to murder someone.

How the hell she knows?

What should I say? Should I admit I'm pregnant and unmarried?

Judging by her posture and expression, she probably hired someone to follow me around and review my records from a recent visit to the clinic I have been sneakily going to.

"Don't look so surprised. I can tell a woman she is pregnant when I see one. After all, I gave birth to your mother."

I swallow hard.