Chapter 3

Alethea poked her head out of the carriage.

"How much time until we arrive at Arundel?"

"2 more hours, my lady. Please relax."

Alethea rolled her eyes and sat back in the carriage. Cynthia, sitting next to her, had opened the drapes and was staring outside at the lush landscape. Her mother was stitching a piece of cloth. Alethea sighed and slumped in her seat. They had already been traveling for the past 3 hours. The Lord of Arundel had a son that was eligible, and Cynthia was the perfect age for marriage.

Her father had sent the proposal a week ago, and as soon as the Lord had agreed, they had set off. Alethea was definitely excited to see her sister get married, but the trip was so dull. They hadn't even let her ride her own horse. However, she had been allowed to bring her weapons with her so that she wouldn't be too bored while her sister courted Lord Gordon.

------------------------------------

Alethea limped out of the carriage. Her legs had cramped up from sitting for so long. She looked around at the city of Arundel. It was extremely well maintained, with orderly cobblestone streets lined with blooming trees and shrubs.

A group of horsemen approached their party. They dismounted and bowed low.

"Count and Countess Grimston of Darendale, the Lord and Lady Lovelace of Arundel welcome you. Please follow us in your carriages. We will escort you to the palace."

Alethea groaned but followed her sister back into her carriage. Ensuring that everyone had gotten back into their carriages, the horsemen mounted their horses and started towards the palace.

-------------------------------------

Cederic wandered in the palace gardens. It had been two years since he had joined the court, and he was free to do whatever he wanted in his spare time, which ended up being most of the day, since Lady Constantine was always busy with something or the other. He sat down on the grass next to the fountain and closed his eyes. The weather had just started turning cold, but the sun was warm on his face.

"Pardon me?"

Cederic opened his eyes, frowning. In front of him stood a girl who seemed to be around his age. She wore a thin cotton tunic and pants with leather boots laced up to her knees. He had a sword sheathed at her side and a bow and quiver slung across her back. Her long raven hair stirred slightly in the autumn breeze, and her eyes seemed to shine like the moon.

Cederic looked her up and down, giving her an easy smile. He'd never seen her before, but he figured that she was a part of the visitors that the Lord was expecting.

He stood up, dusting himself off.

"Are you looking for someone, my lady?"

She shook her head, gesturing to herself.

"I don't think I'd be looking for someone like this. I was looking for somewhere I could get to practice fighting."

Cederic's mouth lifted into a smirk. He extended a slender arm to her, offering his hand.

"Of course. I'll take you. I'm Cederic."

She smacked his hand away and crossed her arms.

"Alethea Grimston. Pleased to meet you. Now please take me unless you want me to bruise you."

Cederic tucked his hands in his pockets and leaned towards her slightly.