Chapter 6

Alethea's parents hadn't seemed to notice that she had a new companion following her everywhere. The Commander had raised his eyebrows the first time that Cederic made his appearance in the training grounds, but later resorted to treating Cederic like a piece of equipment.

They had shared their first kiss under a tree in the gardens. Alethea had finally let herself admit it.

She was in love with Cederic, and he was in love with her too.

But Alethea knew her parents wouldn't approve, and was very careful to not get caught. She'd eventually talk to them and convince them, but for now, their relationship stayed a secret.

A few months had passed since Cynthia's marriage, and word had spread that she was already with child. Alethea's mother made arrangements to travel back to Arundel to help Cynthia with the pregnancy and the child birth, and Alethea was told to accompany her.

Alethea had accepted reluctantly, and Cederic promised that he would return to Arundel a week before Alethea and her mother left for Arundel in order to not raise suspicion. He had promised that he had a believable story in mind to narrate to Lady Constantine regarding his absence.

Alethea stared out the window silently, the carriage swaying as it traveled along the bumpy road. It had been a week since she had seen Cederic and she missed him so much that her heart ached. She couldn't wait to see him again, hold him in her arms and talk all day long.

They soon reached Arundel and Alethea promptly leaped from the carriage. Cynthia was waiting at the gates, her stomach slightly swollen. Alethea ran to her sister, enveloping her in a strong hug. Cynthia laughed, ruffling Alethea's hair.

"I missed you too, sister."

----------------------------

Alethea launched herself into Cederic's arms pressing her lips onto his. She pulled away briefly, her hand rising up to caress his face.

"I missed you. So so so much."

He grinned down at her, his slender hands resting on her hips.

"I missed you too."

He leaned in for another short kiss before they both sprawled on the ground, watching the clouds. Alethea smiled happily.

"Can you believe it? I'm going to be an aunt! I'm going to have little baby nephews and nieces running around my feet."

Cederic raised an eyebrow.

"Nephews and nieces? Do you think your sister is going to keep having children upon children?"

Alethea shrugged.

"When we were younger, my sister planned all the kids she'd have, and named them all too. If she's still sticking to that, then yes, I'll have nephews and nieces."

Cederic laughed.

"What about you? Did you plan out all your children too?"

Alethea shook her head.

"If and when I get married, I'd want to adopt children. The idea that I can give a home to children who don't have one makes me happy."

Cederic stared at the sky, thinking.

"I suppose so, but I think I'd like to have at least one child of my own."

Alethea shrugged.

"There's still a lot of time for that."

Cederic nodded and brushed his lips against her cheek briefly, rolling over to look at the sky again.