Chapter 3

A few days after Thea arrived in Mystic Falls, there was still no missing person's report. The Mayor had called Liz as soon as Thea had left the room and told her to keep an eye on the matter. The more time passed, the angrier Richard got at his brother. There was forgetting about someone and there was neglect. What happened to Thea was clearly the later.

"So," Richard started as the entire Lockwood family sat at one of the Grill's tables for lunch "Are you ready for going shopping later, Thea?"

The sixteen-year-old looked up at her uncle with wide eyes and shook her head, trying to tell them that it wasn't necessary with hand gestures. When that didn't work, she pulled out a pen and started scribbling on a napkin 'You don't have to. I don't need more clothes.' Thea only had three changes of clothes but she was uncomfortable with them spending money on her.

"Nonsense," Carol chided "You need a dress for the founder's party tomorrow and some more clothes."

"Just stop arguing," Tyler shook his head with a grin "Mom won't give up." Thea sighed and nodded, giving up when she saw the truth in her cousin's words.

Vicki Donovan, one of the waitresses of the Grill walked over to the family, looking at Thea in confused jealousy. She had no idea who that girl was but she was sitting way too close to Tyler for her taste "How are y'all doing over here?"

Mayor Lockwood smiled lightly "Ah, we're doing great, sweetheart."

"Is there anything else I can get you?" Vicki questioned.

Tyler looked down at his baby cousin "Do you want anything else, Kitten?" Thea shook her head, gesturing to her half-full plate and the glass that still had coke in it. It had been a while since she had eaten a full portion and the portions at the Grill were way bigger than she was used to "We're fine, thanks."

"Just the check, honey," Richard told the older Donovan.

Vicki nodded, walking away to grab the receipt for their table "Here you go, Mayor Lockwood." She handed it over, accepting the money, he gave her in return.

"Thanks," Richard nodded, getting up from the chair "Tyler, do you want to come with us today?"

"And go shopping?" the seventeen-year-old questioned with a sceptical look "I have homework to do anyway."

Carol wrapped her arm around Thea's shoulders and lead her towards the exit "Well, let's get this over with then, shall we?"

Thea pouted at having to go shopping. She was slightly annoyed at Tyler getting out of the shopping trip but then again, he was a teenage boy and it was normal for them to dislike shopping. There were exceptions, of course, but that didn't mean that Tyler was one of those exceptions. She turned around, sticking out her tongue at him, causing Richard to snort, nudging her in the back of the head. Thea flinched away lightly. It had gotten better then last few days but the sixteen-year-old still didn't like being touched by an older man, even if she knew that Uncle Richard wouldn't hurt her.

----------

The three Lockwoods went to the shopping mall in Richmond and there the torture began. Carol dragged Thea and her husband to several stores, somehow finding clothes that Thea actually liked while also finding some that the girl wouldn't even touch. She really wasn't a 'pink' type of girl. The sixteen-year-old preferred skinny jeans or shorts to dresses and skirts although that might have been because she lived so close to the beach and the boys there were idiots more often than not. Thea had already gotten four full outfits with several shirts and sweaters, so now it was only the dresses, underwear and the more formal clothes left.

"Thea," Richard spoke up while his wife was picking out some clothes. She would have let Thea pick out things but since the sixteen-year-old was constantly looking at the prizes, the older woman just did it herself "A few days ago, I called Liz. She kept an eye on the missing reports from your area..." He shifted the shopping bags, looking down at his niece who was avoiding his gaze "How is it that your school didn't call Mason by now? I mean, you must have missed a week already."