Chapter 8

A few more months had passed since Thea helped Damon in the warehouse and the two of them had only gotten closer much to the dismay of Tyler. The other Lockwood really didn't want his cousin anywhere near the vampire. In his opinion, Damon was a bad influence and he would be damned if he just stood by and let the Salvatore hurt Thea.

The now seventeen-year-old girl was annoyed. More than annoyed actually. Tyler had been ranting and raving about how she should be staying away from Damon. That after what he did to Caroline, she wasn't safe with him. She loved that her cousin cared about her enough to be worried but she knew Damon by now and – yes – he might be an asshole sometimes but she still liked him. She liked standing time with the vampire.

She took the first chance she had to escape the house, stealing Tyler's car keys while she was at it. Almost as soon as she had turned seventeen, her uncle let her drive with Tyler's car whenever he wasn't using it. She had gotten her driver's license in Florida, so it wasn't like she didn't know how to drive.

"Well, that's not very nice," Thea heard Damon remark as soon as she entered the Grill. She snuck towards the vampire, knowing that he would be able to tell that she was there whether she was being quiet or not. It had become a bit of a habit for them though. Thea trying to sneak up on him and Damon just humouring her.

As soon as she was behind the vampire at the bar, she reached over his shoulder, plucking the sunglasses from his hands. Internally, she rolled her eyes at Kelly Donovan's attempt at flirting with Damon. Really, for Matt's sake, the seventeen-year-old had hoped that the woman had changed but no such luck apparently.

"Thea," Damon raised his eyebrows, reaching out to take his sunglasses back.

The girl danced out of his reach, sticking out her tongue at him 'Mine now.'

Damon reached out to snag the girl's waist, pulling her closer to where he was sitting at the bar. He plopped them onto the girl's nose "There you go," he smiled lightly, shaking his head "They do look better on you."

'You think?' Thea snorted in amusement.

"Are you joining us?" the Salvatore asked, resting his head on the youngest Lockwood's shoulder.

Thea looked at Kelly who was looking at her in something akin to jealousy and a hint of recognition. Not that she cared, though. The woman really should be there for Matt instead of slumming around with every guy in town 'Do you mind?'

"You know that I like having you around," Damon murmured, shifting a little on the barstool to accommodate Thea leaning against the stool between his legs. He waved at the bartender, ordering a coke for the seventeen-year-old before turning back to the woman next to him "You were saying something about being stood up."

Kelly nodded, snapping back into reality "Right, yeah. Last time I was in town I slept with her boyfriend."

"That's not very nice either," Damon remarked, smirking at Thea's noise of disgust.

"It happens," Matt's mother shrugged.

"Kelly?" a voice behind them called out in surprise "Kelly Donovan?"

The three turned around to see Jenna walking up to the bar. Kelly smiled happily "Jenna," she greeted, wrapping his arms around the redhead.

"I heard you were back in town," Elena's aunt remarked. She turned to Damon and Thea "She used to babysit me."

"And then I used to party with you," the Donovan added.

Damon rolled his eyes "Save me now," he breathed into Thea's ear. Thea grinned at him before patting him on the head in mock sympathy. He snapped at her hand playfully "Careful, dear. I bite," he teased.