Meeting Josephinne

I got to school and sat down. We had to move from place to place every couple of years because my mother is in the Air Force. So we moved to Cincinnati.

I started my new schedule in the middle of December. I noticed there was only one girl in ALL of the same classes as me. Her name was Josephinne Hendrix. And I thought I was extremely artistic, you should've seen half of the stuff this girl was capable of!

The first time I saw her I was in Biology 2. She was wearing a dark gray hoodie with black skinny jeans and roughed up Vans. Her hair was jet black and her eyes as blue as the sky. She was drawing on her arm with all these different colored Sharpies. Oh, the colors and how she got them to blend, beyond beautiful!

I finally mustered up the courage to talk to her because she seemed hard to approach. But I sat with her at lunch one day and she drew a picture on my arm. It was the most breathtaking and realistic butterfly drawing I had ever seen.

A few weeks, later after we had been talking for a while, she invited me over. I said yes, of course. That weekend, I rode the bus home with her. I had never ridden a bus from the school unless it was a field trip or something. It was completely new to me.

She didn't talk much on the bus ride or at school, but as soon as we stepped off that bus, she was a chatterbox like no one would believe. But it made me happy in the moment, because I finally saw her in her comfort zone and I had no idea why she had this 'wall' around her. She was untouchable at school. Nothing anyone could say to her could make her respond or even show that she had even heard what they said.

We walked in and she introduced me to her parents.

"Nice to meet you, Adrianna," her mother speaks kindly. Josephinne showed me the way to her room to show me the 'secret' that she had been telling me about.

We got to her room and I dumped my bags at the end of her bed. Luckily, it was a trundle bed so I didn't have to sleep with her on the tiny twin mattress. But her room was rather normal and beautiful all in its own way.

There were two colors on the walls. One was a deep teal and the other a bright blue. She had band posters on the walls. Some pop punk bands I had heard of. A few darker bands, I guess by their logos.

"Welcome! My mom will come in every once in a while cause she worries easily. But other than that, we won't be disturbed." I giggled in response, not knowing what to say. "Do you like Three Days Grace?" she asked. I had no idea who they were.

"I'm sorry, I've never listened to them."

After hearing this, she switched a few CDs and started playing an album called One X. This music was awesome. I absolutely loved it and I had already chosen a favorite. It was called 'Get Out Alive'.

I was enjoying the music, listening to the words in depth and trying to understand the meaning. Josephinne was dancing around and swinging her head back and forth in time with the music. She enjoyed dancing around, and we found ourselves dancing like this every weekend.

Her mother came in to check on us one day. I was showing her a band I had come to like. It was Pierce the Veil, and I was actually friends with Tony, Vic, Mike and Jaime. Her mother asked me who they were but I couldn't explain any farther than 'just a band'.