SIX

• • •

• • •

The elevator took us to the bottom floor of the bunker. Next, to me, Arthur surveyed the people around us. He didn't seem fully on board with this entire plan and as I watched Barry's excited face as the doors opened revealing Bruce's main hub, I wasn't so sure either. I adjusted my black sweater and followed the group further inside. We all congregated near the work station for his vehicles, Victor spoke up first, Mother Box secure in his metal hand.

"My father called it a change-engine. It was found by the British during World War 1. They studied it, but they couldn't even date it, it's so old."

We walked to a table in the middle of the floor, the air was cool down here and smelled of oil and machinery.

"It was shelved till the night Superman died. Then she lit up like Christmas. They brought it to STAR Labs where my father recognized it as a perpetual energy matrix." Victor, clad in a Gotham University sweatsuit set the box onto the table, it landed with a heavy thud and I wondered just how heavy it was. Out the corner of my eye I saw Barry standing above us admiring some tech on a high rise and Arthur was looking around, surveying everything.

"That sounds cool. I thought it was a nuclear bomb."

"A Mother Box destroys as it creates. It's a cycle of life, but a million times faster."

Arthur tugged on my hand and I turned to look at him. He had let go of me and walked to a workbench, looking around before placing something in his pocket, he was playing it off, but he found the "Bat Cave" to be as cool as Barry did. I just shook my head at him and turned back to Victor.

"My father thought it was the key to unlimited energy. New formulas. Cellular regeneration. But it's too volatile to control."

"He used it on you," Bruce responded, and I was immediately reminded of Victor's screams and the pain he was in when the box was activated.

I tried not to stare, but the light emitting from his chest shown through the fabric of his grey sweatshirt and the noise of his metal limbs moving, even at the slightest, was sensitive to my ears. Did he even need to wear clothes? Was his body colder now that it was all metal and parts and alien or did he just wear them to make everyone else comfortable and to keep a semblance of his own humanity?

"I was in an accident. Should've died. My father thought that he could use the Mother Box to rebuild the broken parts of me with a few cybernetic enhancements. Instead, he built a living machine that may be stronger than its host."

"Too much. Too much life." Bruce spoke up.

"Bruce, what are you getting at?" I questioned.

Arthur hurried a bit past me addressing Bruce as well, standing across from him on the opposite side of the table, "What's on your weird mind?"