SEVEN

• • •

• • •

To say the car ride was awkward would be an understatement. She wasn't saying much, and I wasn't going to push her. I could only imagine where her mind was. Here she was 18 months out from the worst day of her life, and now the impossible were to happen. Her life had moved forward without the man she loved, a new man occupied his space in her bed, and as much as she wants to believe she truly loves him- I know she doesn't. I can see it in her eyes.

The way her voice got thick with emotion when she was talking to Bruce yesterday sealed it for me. Arthur even had me studying Bruce closer too, what he said about Bruce being in love with Annie wouldn't leave my mind. We had been sitting in the car silently for forty minutes and she kept her gaze out the window trained on the facility. We were parked and the silence was deafening.

"I didn't know you were in a relationship. Seeing..." Crap, I had forgotten the handsome man's name.

"Ben." She reminded.

"Yeah, Ben. I know Arthur wasn't expecting it. How long have you guys been dating?" I turned to her trying to show that she could trust me and watched her bleary eyes shift across my features, taking me in.

I almost felt small under her gaze. Well, I was small, but somehow her gaze made me feel like I was a child being questioned by an adult and I wondered if this was how she got great stories and interviews, her gaze was very focused and striking.

"Bruce says you're my protection?" Annie's voice was void of any niceties and I wondered if I had crossed the line asking about Ben, who was her new lover while we waited for her dead lover to come back to life. I tried to not allow her words to bother me, but they did. My brow creased and I felt my lips thin, and instinctively my fingers slid across the frayed hem of my jacket.

"I know I don't look like much, but I'm as strong as Arthur. I will protect you."

She didn't speak for a while and when she opened her mouth I expected her to ask more about me, but she didn't.

"Six months." Her voice seemed almost old and wary like in those six months she had lived her entire life and she was now talking about it. In a way, I imagined she did. Annie probably rushed everything in her life in order to be busy and to keep the pain away.

My brows knitted together behind my glasses and I knew I asked the wrong thing, "I shouldn't have asked that especially now."

Her voice was steady as she assured me it was alright and just like that her body shifted closer to the door, her head tilted towards the window and her gaze locked across the street. The conversation was over and I had put my foot in my mouth.

• • •

My gaze followed their silhouettes as Clark ascended high into the sky. He had gone on a rampage- angry, and confused the League was no match for The Man of Steel. Bruce groaned next to me standing on weak knees, his arm a little stiff as the others collected themselves. Barry was slowly walking his way towards us and I could see his mouth moving, his eyes were wide with disbelief.

Diana had picked herself up with ease, popping her neck, shaking off the cement and dust. Clark and she seemed to almost be equals, but a blow to the head kept her down. I heard the familiar whirring of Cyborg's mechanical limbs as he stalked up to us. His voice was low and I turned when I heard Arthur.

"You better run." 

He tossed out at no one in particular, and I walked over to him, looking him over to see if there were any cuts or trauma, but he seemed fine. His ego seemed a little bruised, but other than that he wasn't hurt. He was angry.

• • •

Bruce had sent me to the kitchen to find snacks for Barry, and while I rummaged through the pantry Alfred voiced his presence.

"He found her?"

I nodded, shuffling a bag of chips into my arms, "Yes. It was kind of beautiful, actually." I grabbed a box of cheez-its and cookies before backing out of the floor to ceiling pantry.

Alfred gave me a wistful smile taking in all the junk food, "For Barry?"

I nod and head for the elevator before turning to Alfred, "He's in love with her, isn't he?"

Alfred kept his gaze locked on me before a ghost of a smile came across his lips, "Barry needs those snacks, Ingrid."

I took his avoidance of my question as an answer and made my way back down. As I entered where the rest were idling, I heard Arthur's angry voice. He stomped past me and I turned to follow him, his anger in his movements. His shoulders are tight and fists were clenched.

"Arthur?" I held the cheez-it's box tightly and watched Arthur fume, nostril flared, jaw tight and brows furrowed.

"Cheez-it?" I offered, but he just glared and walked past me. 

Barry came running over, excited to see all the food I had brought. He responded with quick thank you's as he tore the food from my hands speeding away. I looked at the others. Diana was leaning against a desk her gaze to the floor. Cyborg was surveying security cameras, it seemed as if he was trying to trace Clark and Annie. Bruce, well he was hurt, I could see it in his eyes, the way his jaw clenched and he glanced up at me. 

I stood in silence just watching the defeated heroes. Behind me a crash sounded and Bruce's eyes widen with his lips grew tight. I nodded and backed up a bit. 

"You guys did great out there. Hopefully, Annie can do the rest." 

They all stared at me and I clapped my hands together, "I'm gonna go make sure he doesn't break anything." 

I hurried towards the sound glad to be out of the depressing atmosphere of the room. I knew Annie would be able to calm him down and that's all that mattered. She would have no problem centering him. 

Another crash and shout of curses made me pick up my speed as I rushed down the hall calling for Arthur. 

"Oh, please don't break anything too expensive!"

* * *

And we're back. Or, rather I'm back to this story. So sorry for the long hiatus. I hope I didn't lose too many readers while being gone. Not the best chapter, but I've had it in my drafts for months and didn't feel like rewriting it completely. I'm not sure when the next update will be, but I know it won't be longer than a week at most. I hope everyone is safe and living their best life with this pandemic going on. 

Also, don't forget to vote on this chapter or in real life!!