FOUR

• • •

• • •

The next day I ventured down to my workplace hoping to not run into Bruce. As much as I was angry, I was also embarrassed. I had hurt him when I shoved him, and he had seen me naked, so us going back to our usual work relationship was going to be hard, but I was determined to talk to him about it. It was late in the day around three when my headache had finally changed to a dull hum. My eyes were still unchanging, and my vision was intense, I wrapped my cardigan closer to my body turning the corner to the stairs I bumped into Alfred.

"Hey, what's going on?" I ask, he looks to be in a rush.

"Bruce just called." He managed before moving past me, grabbing my arm along the way.

"Okay? I repeat; what's going on?"

Alfred quickly pulls me to the larger sets of computers that dwarf my station across the room. A sense of urgency is coming off of him, and the nerves in my body are alert as my now enhanced eyes notice the bead of sweat pulling in his creased forehead. I shake the antsy feeling from my body and sit next to him in the large chair, he immediately goes 'Alfred-Batman's-right-hand-man-mode,' and I can only watch as he becomes one with the console. His body eases into the chair, and his gentle hands place an earpiece in one ear and hands me the other. I quickly do the same and set the mouthpiece closer to my lips.

Static bubbles in my ears and I wince only for a moment. Soon the static is replaced with Bruce's gravely voice and the whirring of a machine that seems to be echoing.

"Where are they?" I ask Alfred. He nods his head towards a 3-D blueprint of tunnels underneath Gotham. A large blinking red blip is moving along one of the tunnels.

"Master Wayne, you'll arrive in three minutes."

"Understood."

His voice is loud, and I can't help but notice the determination laced within in his words. There's idle chatter from Barry and Diana, mostly from Barry though. I see that Alfred has a camera feed and notice someone I hadn't expected to see.

"They found Victor Stone?" I gasped.

"They were given new intel about nine faculty members being taken by Parademons from S.T.A.R. Labs. One of the nine people is Victor's father." Alfred filled me in quickly.

"Steppenwolf could be close, Bruce be on the alert," I relayed, and I saw him give a nod at the camera.

Soon they stopped and unloaded from the large and not in any way inconspicuous tank of a vehicle.

Suddenly, my phone began to buzz in my pocket, and before I even looked at the caller ID, I knew who it was.

"Shit."

"Ms. Clary, I brought you here to be a fresh set of eyes. What could be so important?" Alfred's voice was a hair away from chastizing so I silenced my phone and turned my attention back to the task at hand.