Chapter 5

" TRISHA POV "

Six months later

Okay, keeping calm had to be something to do.
A new job at JK International is a piece of cake.
Going back to college isn’t happening, and with Kate now recovering from her illness, an apartment, and sending her to a good school, I need more money. A good job will provide that for her.

Getting the job hadn’t been easy. The program had been a month long with over fifty applicants, all of them college dropouts.

Yep, JK International actually has a program within their company to help with college dropouts like me and of course fifty others.
On the application I was given, they demanded a brief explanation as to why you quit.
I wonder what the other applicants put.
For me, I put personal problems as I had to adopt my sister and she’d been sick.

My grades had been brilliant up until that revelation.

It hadn’t exactly been a revelation.
I’d gone home early, at least two hours before I was supposed to, when I saw my stepfather raping my sister.

Yep, it had been a huge change in my life.

Fortunately, Kate is a fighter.
She is also in counseling, but that doesn’t seem to be helping.
We live in a small apartment, and she goes to a great school.

All from my virgin money.

It had been a shock to get the amount that I had.

Every single cent of it went to helping Kate

So, back at work.
After one month of tiring shifts, of proving myself, of showing that I had what it took, I got the job, along with four other people.

I’d heard some of the employees gossiping about us behind our backs.
There was a bet on to see who would last the longest.

I don’t know where I fit into it all.

It would seem my name had been placed around the middle.
There was some entitled jack who they thought would shine brighter because he had a good last name and came from a well-to-do family.
The rest of us didn’t stand a chance.

Still, it’s why I’m standing outside the elevator at seven in the morning, carrying sixty files in my arms, holding them tight against my chest.
Glancing at my reflection in the metal doors, for a brief moment I allow myself to think about him. 
The man who had completely blown my world apart.

He’d given me a night to remember, and when I was alone in my bed, staring up at my ceiling, I allowed myself a chance to dream.
To think of his hands as they held me.
We’d fucked more than once.
He’d surprised me by how many times he wanted to go.
The way he held me in place, putting me on my knees or back, or making me take him, to stare into his eyes as he filled me.

I’d been raw for days.

Walking had been a problem, but seeing as I had to take care of Kate, I’d not allowed myself to dwell.

Walking, talking, pretending everything was fine, I’d gone about my business until I got to this moment.

The memories are all I have left.

Dating isn’t part of my life.

Kate and now work fill my world.

I’d cut my hair though.

Every chance he got, he’d run his fingers through it, gripping the length tight, driving me wild and making me just fall apart from the pleasure I could have at his fingertips.