iv. || l i b e r a t i n g

"Watch carefully the magic that occurs, when you give a person just enough comfort to be themselves."
~ Harper Lee

• e l l i s o n •

• e l l i s o n •

The heart is a critical organ in the body. Without it, life would be impossible. Different things cause our heart to react in a different way.

When one is scared, the heart pumps blood at an incredibly fast rate, causing blood to flow quickly to your muscles and brain in order to prepare if you need to defend ones self. When you're heartbroken, it feels exactly like that — broken. That each and every fiber of your heart has been painstakingly pulled from each other at an inhumanly slow rate. When excited, your heart feels like it's ready to burst from the confinements of your skin and bones.

However, not even the best heart doctor in the entire universe could prepare me for the feeling when Mr. Fitzgerald spoke that one word to me.

His name.

"Ellington." He said it so nonchalantly. Like it wasn't one of the most beautiful names this world has had the pleasure of speaking from its lips. To be honest, I did not expect such a name to come from this man. While he wasn't a typical bad boy, obviously, he still had a rugged look to him. Something that made him seem confident and... powerful? Ellington is a name that sounds like it was crafted for a god — ok, to be fair, Mr. Fitzgerald kind of looks like one — someone who is held as esteemed royalty by the entire nation.

Looking at the human being in my line of vision, I wouldn't want to call him anything other than Ellington. Names are said to be fit exactly for a single person, and Ellington is the prime example of this. Damn, I can't stop saying his name.

"Ellington." I try it out on my lips, and fuck, it felt amazing to say. I felt like I just read one of Shakespeares sonnets, his name held so much emotion, to me.

"Yes, that is my name Ellison. Hah, would you look at that. Ellison and Ellington. Funny, no?" He cocked his head to the side, and breathed a small laugh.

"Absolutely hilarious, sir." I tried to sound sarcastic, but for some unknown reason, my voice came out husky.

"You can call me Eli too if you prefer, but I'd like for the informalities to stay only when we are in private, I am still your professor after all." Oh, how I know of this fact. And no, his entire name should be spoken at all times. Ellington, forever the name for him that will come off my lips.

     "Okay, Ellington. So, w-what is this discussion about-t?" I set my bag on the ground, and prop myself on Ellington's wooden desk; crossing my legs underneath me. We are way too past formalities for this to be seen as inappropriate.