4. Second surprise of the year

•¶∆¶•

Clay and I walked inside the ball room and I looked up at him as I wrapped my arm around his like a proper date. As we walked slowly around the crowd Clay greeted a few people and then stopped to observe around.

"You look amazing tonight, Zoe." he said not looking at me. I just lived the way he said my name. I glanced up at him giving him a loving smile, knowing he wasn't looking.

"Thank you, Clay." I said and I saw him crack a small smile. He then, finally looked at me and slightly opened his mouth to say something but he was cut off.

"Wyatt standing by." Shelby's voice said through our ear piece.

"Miss Wyatt's assistant, standing by." Nimah said.

"Diana online. Logan Martin is taking a nice nap on the back seat. So, you're clear to go Ryan." Diana said.

"I'm in." Ryan informed us. Clay offered my his arm and I wrapped mine around it as we begun walking again.

"Alex, Owen you ready?" he asked.

"Standing by." Owen replied. Clay and I begun walking again around the crowd.

"Shelby, Nimah, Zoe eyes on anyone from the three clients?" Diana asked. I looked around and immediately spotted one.

"I have one. Moving in." I said and went to walk away only to be stopped by Clay. I looked at him confused.

"No." he said.

"Clay, let me go." I said and snatched my arm off of his and walked towards my guy.

"I spotted one too, moving in." Ryan said.

~

" So are you a client?" my target asked.

"Potential client." I said and gave him a smile.

"Zoe Evans. I remember that name. Evans... Oh yes of course. Evans Technology." he said my eyes widened a bit.

"Umm... Yes.." I said and covered it up.

"I thought that company was working for the FBI." he said.

"I wouldn't know. The company belonged to my father. " I said.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Well..." I started but he cut me off.

"Is the GIP under investigation?" he asked again.

"I..." I started but he cut me off again.

"Why are you really here Miss Evans?" he asked, his face darkening.

"I changed my mind. I want to dance." another voice said and I turned around to see Clay. "Shall we?" he asked looking deep into my eyes. I took his hand and looked at the asshole.

"Excuse me." I said and walked towards the dance floor, holding Clay's hand. Once we were around other people dancing he placed his arm around my waist, bringing closer as I placed my free hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you." I said not looking at him. We were far to close to look at him.

"I couldn't let the mission to fail." he said and I looked up at him only to find him already starring at my face. My lips parted at how close we stood as I let myself fly inside his beautiful eyes. At this moment I felt like it was only us and nobody else. He must have leaned in as we swayed slowly to the music because I could feel his hot breath. And as we were only inches apart and our eyes locked with eachother the whole thing stopped when he said "I'm engaged with Maxine.". I quickly stopped moving and took a step backwards. He opened his mouth to say something but stopped and sighed. I shook my head and walked away from him. How could I have been so stupid.