Chapter 2: A Late-Night Swim

AAaahh sorry. I'm rushing everything because I have different ideas for different events in the story, but I'm have a REALLY hard time connecting them! And I've been having a hard time writing slow-burn romance...

-

Cam was barely able to finish putting sunscreen on his arms and legs because a normal sunscreen application on your end became a relaxing massage. By the time you were done, he was the human-form of jello. Was he turned on? Embarrassed? Giddy? He couldn't tell.

     You stretched your limbs with a small yawn before you started putting sunscreen on yourself. You hated sunburns, especially after you got a 2nd degree sunburn while working one summer. As you blended the substance on your skin, you jumped when two big hands coated in sunscreen lightly rested on your shoulders.

     "Mind if I return the favor?" Cam's almost-whisper visibly made you tremor, and it caused him to smirk.

     You couldn't speak, so you only nodded enthusiastically. Who knows what you would have sounded like? As if his voice so close to your ear wasn't enough, his hands massaging your back in return had you digging your nails into your palms. Your regular flirting already gave you butterflies, but this? He was having more of an effect on you than you expected.

     Cam relished in your almost-silent gasp when his hands lightly grazed your waist. An innocent action of applying sunscreen with helpful intentions took a subtle yet heated turn. You didn't know how he felt about it, but you were ready to jump him.

     You two were yanked out of our haze when Swagger yelled, "Cameron, you better fucking get your slimy hands off of my cousin!" It took him a painfully long time to notice what was going on and it definitely looked like your position was toeing the line between friendly and sexual. "I'll kick your ass!"

     You quickly moved away and you shouted in return, "You'll have to reach him, first!"

     "Really!? Do you not remember what happened the last time you made fun of my height!?" Your cousin started to make his way towards you. "I'll throw you into the pool! You think I won't!?"

     You got defensive, and a little serious. "Oh, fuck no; I just put on sunscreen and I am going to tan whether you like it or not!" You pointed your finger at him with a glare. "I swear, if you throw me in the pool right now, I'll make you fucking regret it!" You weren't joking.

     Luckily, since he knew you so well, Swagger got your message and knew that you weren't just messing with him. He shuffled back to where he originally was, but kept a close eye on Cam.

With a grunt, you got back onto your towel and stretched out under the sun. You set a timer on your phone and got comfortable, readjusting your sunglasses.

You heard some rustling next to you, and then Cam said, "Do you mind if I join you?"

"I thought we already established that I enjoy your company," you smiled a little. "By all means, get tan with me."

~

You jolted awake when the alarm you set on your phone went off. It was time to roll over in order to even out your tan; you didn't want your front to be tan with your back still pale as hell.

     It briefly got the others' attention, but once they realized what you were doing, they left you alone. However, Cam also fell asleep, but didn't wake up like you did. When you looked at him, you sighed. His chest was a bright pink, making it clear that he forgot to put sunscreen there.

     "Cam," you said and you nudged his shoulder. Still didn't wake up. "Cam! Wake up!" You tried again, but he still didn't respond.

     After a few more attempts, you completely forgot that he was sunburned after a short amount of time, and you smacked his chest. Cam cried out in pain and sat up immediately, not knowing what happened.