vingt-quatre

- the girl in the painting was yerin; there was no doubt. she had yerin's shining eyes, her silky hair, that hint of a smile playing on her lips. but the colors were what struck her. she had never seen jeongguk use color before, yerin realized - now it made sense. he loved it.

in the painting, he had used blues, purples, yellows, reds...her skin, as she looked closer, was a rainbow of different hues. and yet it looked so real. a streak of navy, and her neck was cast in believable shadow. pink above the browbone was the café light warming her face. her eyes glowed with saffron light. jeongguk had convinced the most unexpected colors that they were meant to come alive in yerin's portrait.

"i...it's..." yerin struggled to force a coherent thought from her lips.

"is it too weird for you?" he laughed easily. "i really don't mind. i get that a lot."

"it's amazing." yerin managed. "really, jeongguk, it's unbelievable. how did you...?"

"my dad loved painting in this style," he had read her mind. "he taught me to embrace color. he always said that painting is as much about the heart as it is the eyes."

jeongguk turned the canvas back around, produced a thin brush, and dipped it into black paint. he scribbled something, then turned it back to her.

at the corner of the canvas, the same signature that she had seen on that abandoned sketch what felt like a lifetime ago: "jjg."

a/n: get ready..... :)