Chapter 77

Bella's POV:

It was nearly six in the evening as I found myself hazily heading towards the kitchens to fetch my mother a cup of tea. The servants asked no questions as I walked in a stunned kind of silence. I knew I looked no part the princess I was, but that wasn't my fault. My best friend was thrown in prison, the father of my children was alone with my mother, and I'd just come to the horrifying realization that whatever twisted kind of prophesy was dictating my life said that one of my children would not survive.

God, was I having a shit day.

All I wanted to do was get back to Niall. I didn't want to leave him alone with my mother. She wasn't as irrational as my father, but I was absolutely terrified nonetheless. I was pregnant out of wedlock. That was treason.

My thoughts were so consumed with Niall's safety that I didn't even notice the servant turning the corner with a tray of food until I was wearing it. The young girl slammed into me, dousing me with chicken broth and mashed potatoes. The silver platter jabbed my stomach on its way to the floor. I winced before meeting the girl's horrified gaze. It was Annie--the girl who I had run into with Niall on our way out of the palace. That seemed like so long ago.

"Your highness," She gasped, trying to clean me up. I took a step backwards and put my hands up to stop her.

Her already petrified expression fell even further into fear because of my silence. "I'm so, so sorry, princess. Please forgive me. I'll--"

"Stop," I muttered, my voice still hoarse from crying. "It's fine," I added a bit stronger.

She didn't seem entirely convinced. Her head was still bowed and her cheeks still flushed with embarrassment.

"Annie, stop, it's fine," I repeated, though the place where the tray had hit my stomach still held a dull pain. My paranoia set in and I feared the worst.

Calm down, Bella, nothing happened. You're not far enough along.

"Princess?" The girl asked as my fearful thoughts consumed me once more. I continued towards the kitchen, ignoring her worried calls until I could no longer hear them.

The servants' kitchen was hot. Almost unbearably so. Steam from the giant pots of boiling water filled the room and the large gas stoves burned bright in anticipation for the continuation of the harvest feast. Chefs from all the visiting dignitaries rushed around, almost completely ignorant of the bewildered princess covered in broth and potatoes standing in the doorway.

I placed a hand on the stone wall and stepped forward into the room. Wooden spoons clanged against metal pots loud enough to make me flinch. People shouted things in different languages. It was overwhelming.

I just wanted some tea.

"Your highness," Someone gasped in an Italian accent, ushering in a welcome but tense silence. Everyone was staring at me, first in surprise and then awaiting orders. It was rare that I, or anyone else in my family, came down here.

"My mother wants tea," I managed softly. It took no more than a minute for a cup to be poured set on a tray along with milk and sugar cubes. I reached for it, but the old woman carrying it smiled and shook her head, nodding for me to head out the door first.

If she came back with me to my chambers, there's a chance she'd find Niall. I wasn't going to let that happen. I needed to go back alone.

"Please, I'll take it to my mother," I said, though the weakness of my body robbed my voice of its conviction.

"Your highness," She insisted. "You look unwell. I'll take--"

I was in no mood to argue. My head throbbed from crying and my dress stuck to my skin with steam and chicken broth. I was worried for Niall and my abdomen still hurt with a superficial pain. My thoughts ran rampant, scaring me, confusing me, robbing me of my comfort. Everything that happened in my chambers this afternoon, the threat of the ice spirits looming just outside the castle walls, my conversation with Niall about being King--it was too much for me. I refused to shut myself off from my emotions this time (I wasn't even sure that I had the energy if I wanted to), so they overwhelmed me.