The Banquet of Masquerade

Thoughts of leaving disappear every time I see your eyes. No matter how hard I try to understand the reasons why we carry on this way. We're lost in a masquerade.

George Benson

Chapter 4 – The Banquet of Masquerade

“Rielle may I ask you about something but of course you wouldn’t mind if it sounds a little bit lunatic, right?” Lillian asked shyly, her expression hidden in shadows.

“Why of course my lady, I would entertain any questions you might ponder about, as I am here for you whenever you may need some certain help.”

There are many things to ponder about, so many things that needed more attention than the celebration later on. A day of birth or not, such things should be acted upon, the butterflies in her stomach wouldn’t leave her for any reason. She have never felt anything like this before and she is truly certain that some storm is brewing upon her and its coming fast, after her. She thought of bothering Rielle about such things but the question is would she believe her or not? Lillian hopes that Rielle does, for she is the only one that she could run to, it would be stupid for her to make such action upon her father for he does not believe in such things like magic that what she believe in. I hope I wouldn’t make such a fool of myself.

“Rielle may I ask if you believe in such things like magic or any mystery at all, if so why would and would you believe in anything that I would tell?”

 “Lillian, why would you suddenly bring up such trivial subject, is something bothering you?”

“Rielle, please I need you to answer my questions first, now please I need you in this one thing, I promise I’ll tell it later on.”

“Well, if you insist then I shall answer it then. Yes. I believe in such things, call me mad or a lunatic but I have seen and heard about those things, I believe in such deeper history in this world, that there is something more of living, that there would be such thing like magic. And yes, I will believe in anything you’ll tell me, for I put my trust in you.”

“I’m forever grateful that I have such companion like you, someone that I can trust. But would you tell me about the things that you’re sharing about, that magic, would you?”

“You’re welcome my lady and so am I in favor of you and your family. Then please listen carefully, I believe in that thing that they call magic, for I have experienced something frightening yet wonderful during my younger days. You see, I wouldn’t be here with you right now, if it weren’t for that fateful event.”

She started sharing her past experience; Lillian could never believe her eyes and ears for seeing and hearing Rielle speaking about such trivial subject. As her story begun to unfold she moved swiftly and closed the doors cautiously as if the subject was sensitive and classified. She then moved closer to her and started whispering in such hush tone.

“Do you believe in the enchanted ones? They’re living but they’re immortal, they are more powerful than of the human beings, us the mortal ones. Do you remember the times when Madame Victoria opened your imagination about fairies, gods, and magic? Your mother opened your mind that time, she opened the doors of magic for you, and the doors that would lead you to somewhere new and fantastic and would strike you with awe and fear at the same time.”

“Yes, I do remember about Mama, telling me stories about those subjects. I could remember everything clearly.”

“Then I shall tell you how I came across your mother. It was a day in spring, in which where all the graces are abundant, it was a time of harvest. I wasn’t an ordinary girl as you can see, I am neither a servant nor a slave but of a lady like you, Missus. I was the seventh daughter of the seventh son of a lord. You see I was different from the others of my kin. I’d rather help in harvesting, cleaning and other chores than of sitting there and chatting or enjoying myself. I would rather find joy in helping others. Your mother and I have a deep history together.”