Next Town Over...

A/N SUICIDE TRIGGER WARNING

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"So we should go to Joe's sometime. I'm really craving a milkshake." Keith said as they walked back home from practice. A month had passed and Lance still stayed in sixth place.

"Agreed." Lance signed.

"Why don't you come over to my house and we can study for our chem test and then we can get dinner at Joe's Crossing. Maybe not get pulled over this time?"

Lance smiled. He was genuinely happy in the cold fall air- nothing could ruin their day.

"Mr. Caulder's tests are awful."

Keith agreed.

When they got to Keith's house, the door was open which was odd. Inside, Mrs. Grant was crying and all four parents looked up when the boys walked in.

"Um. What's happening?"Keith asked. Mrs. Grant interpreted.

"Lance, Keith- something has happened, something bad."

"Ok- you're kind of scaring me now."

"Do you remember Luke Bowen?

"Yeah... What's wrong?"

"Your mother says that he went to school with you when you were really young?"

"Yes..."

"Well he moved to the next town when you were in fourth grade and he was getting bullied at Patriot because he was a Queer- and-"

Keith looked at his mother. "He killed himself this morning."

"The kids were horrible to him and I don't want this to happen because..." She paused. "We know you're gay."

Lance dropped his backpack which had been lifelessly in his hand. Keith took a step back. He started signing. "I don't understand."

"You're gay?"

"You're gay?"

"I'm gay?"

"You're gay, Lance."

"You're gay?"

"Am I?"

"Yes."

"We're both gay?"

"Yes."

They looked up at our parents. "We don't want your friendship to be criticized." Mr. Grant said.

"You're gay." Keith said, pointing at Lance.

"You're gay." Lance replied. He swallowed. "I think we might be in trouble."

They excused themselves and walked across the street to go watch TV with Spotty Cat.

Poor Luke.