Ch.7

Chapter 7: There are more dangerous things than JOCKS WITH GRUDGES"

Having Ryder by my side made most of the day easier, it was the moments that he wasn't there that turned to shit. Like having to handle dangerous chemicals next to 3 people who would like nothing more than to douse me in something flammable and light a match. I was pretty sure that by the end of class I was visibly shaking from the fear of being killed. Not that anyone would notice. Marissa was so busy with her new friends I don't even think she noticed that we had another class together.

"How about just tanking this youtube channel and starting another?" I heard the familiar voice saying as it walked up behind me. "I mean, the subscribers there are fairly substantial but gearing your channel toward a wider audience will undoubtedly increase the number of users you have to potential to reach."

Another voice whined, "I completely understand, Aaliyah, it's just, Broken beats is my bab. Has been for the past 3 years."

"And all babies grow up, Max."

I slowed my steps, moving over to the side of the hallway as the flow of students continued down the hallway to the cafeteria. Aaliyah was with a tall dark skinned kid. He was handsome, new it seemed because I hadn't seen him in my 3 years at Madison, and he looked successful or like his parents were successful.

Aaliyah spotted me as she walked past and pointed, "Hey. Allison, right?" I nodded quickly, still riding the small high that the point wasn't going to turn into the finger. "Great, come with me, I think I need a fresh set of eyes to help Max here."

"Okay." I hurried along, matching their pace as they walked down the hallway. They continued their chatter about the youtube channel and even if I tried to make it seem like I was preoccupied with other things, it was clear that I was listening in.

"So, what do you think?" she asked, "I mean, it's better if you look at Broken beats first, but just for the conversation, I'm sure you get the swing of things."

"I did," I responded a bit embarrassed. "And I do think that he should get a new channel. Your first project will always have a special place in your heart, but this will definitely help you gain more exposure."

Max smiled, "Are you sure this isn't a setup? Aaliyah didn't pay you to say all that, right? Cause I'll pay double for you to take it all back."

The three of us laughed, and boy did laughing feel good.

"I promise, I didn't pay her, I only met her this morning, you know."

"And you've only known me a month, and yet here I am ready to sell my soul to the devil if that's what you want." Max joked.

"Musician's are so dramatic!" Aaliyah rolled her eyes playfully, before startling me with a fairly loud declaration. "There's Ryder!" She ran over to him, "You have to help me, too."

Ryder's head cocked to one side, "With?"

She rambled on about the plans she had for Max and his music and soon enough, the 4 of us were headed to the gym instead of the Cafeteria. In there, it would be a hundred times easier to listen to Max, his music and the arguments from him and Aaliyah.

We sat down on the bleachers that were closest to the floor and Max set up his laptop. It only took a moment but in that time Ryder nudged my arm. "How were the rest of your classes? Any assholes bother you?"

I smiled softly, "No, but that doesn't mean that I didn't feel bothered. I'm just still very anxious, I guess."

"That won't last very long. Trust me."