[ introduction ]

An image of a house of cards is often perfect. Neatly stacked, carefully arranged, and wonderfully being displayed as a successful creation to the world.

Stacking a house of cards also spends a fair amount of time, as well as stability. If there is no stability, the cards would fall.

Fall, and lay lifeless in a pile. It would be perfect no more. Just a deck of ordinary playing cards.

This story is not about a stack of playing cards, nor it is about the process of stacking the cards neatly to create a perfectly achieved harmony. It would be about the downfall of the said perfect creation, and how a somewhat carefully crafted foundation made out of lies can, one day, eventually be found out, questioned, and then destroyed.

The end of these eight people in the story would be full of regret, pain, guilt, and maybe a sense of suffering. But what comes along with those emotions is also a sense that, throughout the lives they've lived as liars, their feelings slipped out are as real as they can be. Which is what gives them forgiveness, relief, and joy.

It may be false in the start, but their feelings and connections made throughout the journey they've gone through is what makes that false feeling real.

A house of cards fallen may be dead, but it can be reassembled, and stand proud once again.

Hello guys, reiihara__ again.

Sorry for the ridiculously long intro, I just thought that I wrote it quite well haha

I've been thinking of many stories, but it was until recently, that I thought that I have never thought of a story revolving around the theme 'family'.

Yes, family can come in many different ways. It can be those most obvious love from parents, or love between friends, or deep feelings for someone else you treasure the most. It's a really broad spectrum if you ask me.

But since it's really broad, you probably should've known that I would like to try out some weird and fresh take on it. Which is why I decided to take this theme 'family', and put a little spin on it. (haha)

Have you ever bonded deeply with someone whose deepest moments in their lives you had no idea at all? That they could be potentially lying to your relationship, or just passing it off as nothing of a big deal, or something else? If yes, then what has ever happened throughout that story of yours? Bonds broken, memories lost, or lives spent on nothing worth remembering?

These outcomes are possibly the worst to ever happen to you, but things will always see light in the end. Which is why I wanted to make this story's ending a content one, not one ending off with nothing but twenty-something chapters of emptiness. Because we've all been sad because of this, so why make it even sadder to recall?

Broken bonds can be repaired, memories can be created anew, and moments in life can be kept in a page of your lifetime. This story's end would be a forgiving one, despite everyone being total strangers at the beginning, because somehow, despite going through pain and grief, they've forgave and forgotten, and restarted their lives together anew. From a 'false family' to one that they are now proud of calling 'family'.

No more spoilers, and this may be the longest introduction to boot. But a little reminder for those suffering the said above right now or had suffered before:

In the end, everything passes.

Enjoy reading.

- reiihara__

this is a work of fiction. any names, places, events are completely fictional. any resemblance to real life is entirely coincidental. all rights to their respective owners.

extra notes // cards falling picture taken from Depositphotos //

p.s i'm never writing a hecking long prologue (the parts coming up) ever again