Chapter 2: Hooded Figure

"So, what's your name?" The boy asked carefully examining the young girl. She looked like she had been through hell. Worse than others he had come across. She was a lot shorter than him, definitely a lot stronger. Indigo was unsure whether to trust him, I mean she had every right not to...you know, considering she ran into him in the middle of the woods at night. Not only that, he offered to help her, that was rare to come by and most of the time, they were never truly being nice, just using her.

"Indigo..." She replied quietly, "What about you?"

He smiled, "Nevada."

"As in the state?"

"Yeah, I can thank my parents for that." He chuckled and Indigo smiled, "they loved that place, I don't know why."

"If you don't mind me asking...where are your parents?" Indigo questioned. Nevada's face turned sickly. The moon's light creating a moody atmosphere.

"Oh, that's okay. They died." Nevada stated, sorrow seeping into his voice, "they uh...didn't die from this whole dead rising thing, if that's what you're thinking. They were killed in a crash when I was little...I uh...I don't remember much, just that they liked Nevada, it's silly, but my name is the only thing I have left of them."

"I'm sure they really loved you." Indigo told him quietly. Nevada smiled not expecting that response, before turning the attention on her.

"So, uh, what about you? Where are your parents?" He asked before Indigo shifted her eyes to the sky, "You're really young to be out here alone."

"A group attacked us, I-I don't really remember, my mother told me to run, so I did, I hid in an abandoned car to get away. Walkers surrounded me...a man named Rick found me, took me in as his own...he saved me. Then we went searching for his wife and son in Atlanta. We eventually found them with another group, walkers eventually found the camp and it wasn't safe to stay there." Indigo responded before her expression got lost, "we headed to the CDC where we thought there was a cure. There wasn't. I found out some dark things about the group during that time - especially a man called Sh-. I uh, anyways, long story short, everything went to shit after that."

She stopped and looked at Nevada who looked at her bewildered, "so pretty much you've been through a lot."

Indigo smiled bitterly, "yeah something like that."

Indigo clenched her teeth through the pain as she stopped for a moment. Her legs ached and her side felt like it was on fire. She turned her attention back to Nevada who was eyeing the tree line. It was pitch black, nothing but the moon light to lead the way. He was frozen in place, she nudged him. He placed a finger at his lips. Indigo's breathing grew shallow as she stood closely behind him. He slipped out a knife clenching it holding his hand out as if to protect her.

"W-what is it?" Indigo whispered, her eyes flickering across the horizon. She could barely see anything. They listened, both their feet prepared to run at the mere sound of a twig snapping.

"I-I saw something." He replied on edge holding the little girls arm. Indigo could feel his grip, holding onto her as if life depended on it.

"The darkness makes you see a lot of things, Nevada." Indigo whispered not taking her eyes away from her surroundings. The branches rustled in the wind sending a chill down Indi's spine.