Big Sister

4 years old

You had woken up for the third day in a row with the worst nausea you'd had in a long time. At first, you figured you caught something from one of Charlie's classmates since those kids were always getting sick, but the more consistent it got, the more suspicious you got.

Tom assured you he could get Charlie ready for school so you could rest and you had called your boss and said you needed to work on your articles from home today, which he didn't mind since you were working on a feature piece anyway, but you actually needed some time to go to the store and get yourself a pregnancy test.

Ever since you went on birth control after you had Charlie, your periods had been a little sporadic so a missed period wasn't anything unusual, but the combination of nausea and soreness in your chest brought you right back to when you were pregnant with Charlie and you had to know.

You and Tom had talked about trying for more kids, but he wanted to wait until after all his films that were scheduled in back to back months later this year so he could help out more around the house while you were pregnant, but not everything goes according to plan.

Tom headed off to work on some stunt work and Charlie was at school, so you decided to call Y/F/N to head to the store with you on her lunch break.

"I can't believe you think you're pregnant. I feel like we were just doing this yesterday with Char," she chuckled as you both walked through the aisles of your local pharmacy, searching for what you needed.

"I know, she's getting so big. She's been asking for a little sister for two years though so this may turn out to be a blessing in disguise," you laughed.

Aisle 5 was lined with various pregnancy and fertility tests and you weren't sure which ones had to the most accurate reading, but remembered seeing a few on the tele. 

You reached for the first response pregnancy test and decided to get two different brands, just to be sure and then headed back to the apartment.

Two large water bottles later, you were sat on the toilet, trying your hardest to pee on the stick without getting it on your hands. Last time you were doing this, you were scared beyond all belief. You and Tom weren't married and were only living together for a few months before you found out you were pregnant. This time though, you were hoping it was positive. You wanted another baby with Tom, since your first one turned out so terrific. 

Once the deed was done, you waited with Y/F/N for the agonizing three minutes. This part you remembered. Your hands were sweating as you folded your fingers in between each other, cracking the knuckles in anticipation. The timer went off and you jumped over to the counter, your hand immediately picking up the white stick from the surface.

"It's positive." Y/F/N smiled, pulling you into her side and squeezing you tightly. You wanted to scream and jump for joy, but a familiar sound made you hesitate. 

You heard the front door close and you knew Tom was home with Charlie so you took both tests and put them at the bottom of your bathroom drawer and you both retreated into the living room.

"Aunt Y/F/N!" Charlie squealed when she saw your best friend. Her little arms were wide as she broke into a full sprint across the living room. 

"Charmander!" Y/F/N yelled back, opening her arms and catching her as she launched herself off the floor. "How was school? How's that boy you were telling me about?" Y/F/N winked at her, making her giggle.

"Boy? What boy?" Toms head perked up as he unpacked Charlie's backpack onto the table and you chuckled as you approached him. You wrapped your arms around his torso and buried you head into his chest. You inhaled his scent which always comforted you, especially now.