It Looks Like A Good Day

"Hi, everyone ! Today is the 4th of August, 2019. It's already 6 P.M... We hope you enjoying your day." The talk show host says through the old tv.

The man keep talking, while outside behind the window, a bird leaves its branch to fly away very fast, making the branch trembling slowly under the sky that became a little bit darker.

"Try again." A female voice says softly.

Some man clothes were put on the couch, new and folded, with a box containing different things. Including different tooth brushes.

"No, I failed..." A man voice eventually speak in a sighs.

And just in front of the couch, on the floor, a hand write something in a notebook, before it drop the pen to then move away.

"One more time..." She replies.

On the table was laid a bag containing the needed to aliment the generator. While into the sink were placed two empty plates with cutlery. And the lights were working.

Right under them, Kevin was sitting on the ground, his eyes looking down and the jaws clenched.

Then his eyebrows starts to frowns.

And his torso began to rise and fall quickly.

His eyes closes when he suddenly growls of pain.

In front of him, Casey was staring at him with her brown eyes, her lips lightly parted with anticipation. Her eyes never leaving his.

She watches him frowning sadly, his veins on his neck growing as he tries to resist. Resist to Dennis who has to fight against Kevin to steal the light as he was told.

"I can't... I--" Kevin tries to warn her, before he growls once more and loses the light. But to not wasting time, Dennis give it back to him right away, then Kevin opens his eyes as he takes a deep breathe, like he was pulling his head out of the water.

"You're okay ?" Casey asks, trying to make an eye contact.

He nods, tired.

Feeling bad for him, she look at him a second, while he was regaining energy.

"Let's take a break." She says.

She eventually stands up, before she goes to the kitchen and takes a glass from the cabinet. Then, quietly, Casey comes back to him, with a glass filled of water.

Kevin looks up to the glass, his eyes filled of disappointment as his breath being regular. Looking at Casey now, he takes what she offers him.

"Thanks..." He says softly.

While he started to drink, she crossed distractedly her arms, staring at him.

"We'll retry later... You can get some rest." She replies nicely. But starting to know him well, she knows that he was still doubting of himself. "It's gonna work." She adds so.

Kevin's glass leaves his lips, while he tries to accept her words.

"Since you're here, no member of The Horde has took the light. This is a good thing." She comfort him.

"It won't last." He retorts slowly, his eyes plunged into the rest of water he lets in his glass. "I don't know why they've stop trying to stole the light from me. They surely plan something..." He tells, worried.

"Kevin." She stops him in his dark thoughts, while she kneel before him and put softly a hand on his shoulder. "If they fight, we'll fight back."

"How ?" He asks as he turns to her with his sad look. "I never found a way to defend myself against them. It will not be easy, even impossible."