Chapter 8

When she woke up the next morning, Rina had a slower start, one more akin to what she had become used to in her time as a high school student. She shuffled along in front of the school, and expected to be interrupted by Yua or Suzu on the way to class. For a time, that moment didn't come, but when she entered the building she saw Suzu standing by a locker, seemingly waiting for her. Suzu gave a meek wave before walking over to Rina.

"Hey." Rina said lazily, slowly blinking as she looked at Suzu, "You're early today."

"W-w-well, I have to make up for how l-late I was yesterday!" Suzu said, looking at the floor.

"I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that." Rina said, continuing her walk to the class.

Suzu walked with her, putting a finger to her chin.

"D-does it not? I th-th-thought it did..." she said, pouting and looking disappointed with herself.

"It's not that big of a deal anyway, it was one day. And technically you weren't even late." Rina pointed out, glancing over at Suzu.

"It is a b-big deal!" Suzu insisted, looking up at Rina with a flustered expression.

Rina opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off when Yua flew in between the two of them, running for the class room.

"Out of the way!!!" She called out, speeding into the room.

Rina and Suzu looked forward at where Yua ran, before looking at each other. They both sighed as they entered the room and sat down, looking over at Yua, who was panting and laying her head on her desk. None of them got much chance to speak before the bell rang, and class began.

At lunch, Yua and Suzu pulled their desks up, but Rina stood up and took her bento and Masaru's out of her bag.

"Sorry, I have to go to Masaru's class today." Rina said, walking towards the door.

"Another secret romantic meeting?" Yua asked with a smirk.

"It's about a case, and I think you know that." Rina said with a sneer, glancing over at Suzu.

Suzu was rubbing her cheeks and humming, making it clear that she was daydreaming of the possible things Rina and Masaru would be doing. Rina simply sighed and left the room, heading to Masaru's classroom.

"Here." Rina said shortly, handing Masaru his bento when she walked up to him.

He had, like the day before, been waiting outside the classroom door for her.

"You seem to be in a mood." Masaru said, glancing down at her with a neutraL expression.

"That's the kind of thing you don't say to a girl." Rina said, puffing her cheeks out.

Masaru didn't respond, he simply opened his bento and began to eat from it.

"So, we're talking to Ritsu today, right?" Rina asked, doing the same.

Masaru nodded.

"Yep. At least for right now, I have an idea of what we'll do after school. Nothing concrete yet, though." He said, taking another bite with his chopsticks.

They both stood there for a moment, eating in silence, before Masaru spoke up.

"You ready?" He asked.

Rina nodded, and they both entered the classroom.

It was a bit more crowded than usual, likely because people weren't rushing to go home. Rina followed Masaru as he walked over to Ritsu's desk. Ritsu looked up nervously, before realizing who it was.