Facing Friends

RPOV

"Mmm, Daddy?" I woke up in Dimitri's arms in the cabin.

He, of course, was already up. And staring down on me adoringly while rubbing the bump that was our growing baby.

"Morning, Mommy."

He smiled his full smile- the one that lit his face and made me forget how to breath. He leaned in and kissed me. Pulling back way too soon.

"Best welcome home ever comrade! Ya tebya lyublyu." (I love you.)

"Ya tebya lyublyu, milaya moya." (I love you, my sweet.)

"I don't wanna move."

"Hmm. We have to have breakfast. Then I've got sh-"

My phone ringing interrupted us.

"Hunter Hathaway." I boringly answered once we found my phone.

"Rose, Alberta here."

"Yes Alberta?"

"How do you feel about sharing Dimitri's shifts- for the rest of the school year? You'll be getting paid."

How could I turn down extra money and shifts? I had nothing better to do. I wasn't in classes, and Dimitri wasn't going to let me train. He was going to kill me for not consulting him- especially because he was right next to me.

"Sure. Thanks Alberta."

"No worries Rose."

"Why do I get the feeling you just agreed to something dangerous?"

My fiancé asked seconds after I'd put my phone down. He was cooking breakfast.

"You'd think it was dangerous. I know it's not, and it's just what I need." I said in all seriousness, but ended with a smirk. I joined him and he helped me onto the bench.

"Please, please don't tell me yo-"

"I'm sharing your shifts. It's just standing and walking, looking and observing. It's nothing, nothing, like an Elite mission. We'll be fine. You know I hate inactivity. Plus," I grinned mischievously, "it's extra pay."

"Ugh. How on earth can I argue that?" He smiled and kissed my forehead.

"Mmm. You can't. The normal Guardian pay doesn't stand against the normal Hunter pay. Certainly doesn't have a crumb on the post-mission payout, but extra is extra."

"And with Bubby and a wedding to plan for, yeah, we could do with the extra pay."

"Hmmm. Yeah."

"And you really will need something to do with your time. I remember the lead up to your birthday and leaving for the mission."

I laughed softly. "It's was only for appearances sake you let me keep training- and pushing myself to be ready for that mission."

My totally-hot Russian battle-and-sex-god of a fiancé rolled his eyes before joining in my laughter.

"Only you, only you, could talk me into letting you do that."

"Well, of course comrade!" I teased while he plated up breakfast.

"Come on. Let's get you and Bubby fed." He kissed my cheek and gently set me down.

"Go, spend lunch with them. You've been gone for three months and they've missed you," Dimitri told me gently as I wistfully watched my friends sit down to lunch together.

"Are we still on duty?"

"No."

"Then join us." I grabbed his hands and placed them over Bubby, "join us for lunch."