The Hunt

He took long strides through the rubble. All the sharp scraps beneath his damaged shoes hurt his feet, but he paid no mind. He couldn't afford to. He walked and walked until he finally lost sight of the bridge. Now there was nothing for miles. There was no indication of what direction he was walking in or where he was going. He just had to hope for the best and continue believing that there was something for him here. His mind swirled with all the variables, but in the end, it always circled back to his family. His need to be with them once again. He honestly didn't even know what he was looking for, but whatever it was, it was extremely important that he got it soon, for he was about to give up.

When he was just about to drop everything and completely break down, he saw something in the distance. There was no way to tell what it could be from this distance, but regardless, he ran desperately towards it. It was like Christmas morning from when he was a kid. Running down the rickety old stairs of the house where he grew up, eager to find out what joyous surprises lie below. He remembered every detail of his old home. It was in northern Manchester, where it was nearly always cold. The fire was constantly burning, sending heat and comforting yellow light.