Chapter 18

Zoey entered Piedmont Family Clinic and paused at the empty front desk. Even after so many years, she could not deny the nostalgia produced by these old buildings. Magazine racks filled with torn and yellowing reading material surrounded frayed couches and chairs against the walls. Computers that likely hadn’t started in years still rested on the desks behind the glass window of the patient sign-in area. Of course, back then a secretary would be present to offer assistance, but those were different times.

Zoey stepped through a door that lead back to the patient quarters. “Dr. Lockwood!”

From an open room toward the end of a hallway, she heard his voice. “Back here Zoey, room 105.”

As Zoey walked down the hall, she noted that a few of the closed doors. Were any other patients residing here at this time? That seemed unlikely given that this clinic was never designed to be an inpatient facility, especially with only one practicing health care professional. Patch would be an exception, though it would likely be expensive.

Upon reaching room 105, Zoey gasped at the immaculate condition of the room itself. Tongue depressors, syringes, gauze, and latex gloves neatly sat on a polished wooden countertop, next to a glistening sink. A framed poster of a human ear nose and throat hung adjacent to a clear window which offered a view to the back of the property.

Patch sat on a worn but clean examination table, shirtless. The jacket that previously wrapped his shoulder had been discarded, revealing a blood encrusted stump with severe bruising around the area. Zoey winced before she caught herself.

Patch noticed. “Looks worse than it feels.”

Zoey responded, “I doubt that.”

Upon hearing Zoey, Solomon spoke without diverting his attention from the stethoscope he held to Patch’s chest. “So, one of you going to tell me what really happened? Am I to believe a rabid deer in the area chewed through this man’s arm?”

Patch and Zoey met eyes briefly before Zoey spoke. “Sorry Doctor. We were attacked by a creature, likely belonging to Nex Vysarji.”

“Nex you say? Why would he have reason to attack you?” Solomon pulled back with stethoscope in hand. “Nevermind, it doesn’t matter. Probably best if I not know that. As for your friend here, he’s dehydrated and at high risk for acquiring an infection. He’ll need to stay here for tonight so that I can run some tests and properly dress the wound. Then, I’d like a followup visit in a week to confirm he hasn’t contracted tetanus or some other bacterial infection.”

Zoey asked, “Why do you mention tetanus specifically?”

“This isn’t the first time I’ve treated someone wounded by one of Nex’s pets. If tetanus does manifest, I have some antibiotics. However we are very low on metronidazole which is the preferred treatment.”

Solomon stood and walked toward the door. “Now I must be on my way, I have another patient here awaiting my attention. You’re both free to use the facilities so long as you do not make a mess. Patch, you’ll be sleeping in room 107 tonight. There is a cold bath in room 108, I recommend you get cleaned up when you are able. I personally sleep in room 111, so please do not disturb that area or any of the other rooms for that matter.”

Zoey said, “Doctor, I can’t thank you enough for your help.”

“Just stay away from Nex Zoey, if you know what’s good for you.” And with that, Solomon disappeared down the hall into room 101.

Zoey walked over to patch and touched his shoulder lightly. “Does it really not hurt?”

Patch smiled. “Zoey, I heard the deal you made with Pennyworth back there. I’m thankful but I wish you hadn’t done that, I know Halcyon meant a lot to you.”