Prologue

It was the year 3019. A new disease had broken out called TTH. It stands for through the heart because it eats your heart from the inside out. I've seen this disease take my mother. My father ran away and my brother wasn't even in town when it broke out, so he could possibly be safe. Though, this is slowly moving around the world. The entire United States has been infected, it's now moving to Canada. I have 3 friends left: Kana, Jackson, and Lily. We live in a quarantined facility specifically crafted for survival. We resorted to building underground tunnels with other survivors to make sure none of us ended up getting sick. We always had to run and go get some supplies so we could survive. We never went anywhere alone. Food is scarce and people will kill for some water. If anything sweet like soda or candy is ever found, people go ballistic, especially the thieves on the street who were taught nothing but fighting and stealing to survive. I hate living like this. If one idiotic scientist hadn't decided it was okay to spill the specimen to see how it would react to oxygen, this wouldn't have happened. I would still have a family, I would still be in school joking around with people in photography. I could have the life of a normal 15-year-old boy, but of course, I can't have that.

I was just fine until everything had to take my world down, sometimes I just feel hopeless, as if the world is just going to end in a bunch of death from a disease. This could have been prevented, and I hate that. I always think about it and it hurts so much to think about that I can't stand to live sometimes. My friends always share that they feel the same way, but I act like the logical and 'positive' one in the group.

I'm supposed to be strong, though I am only falling apart like the rest of my friends. I hate feeling weak like this. Pushing everything aside, this is nothing like the movies where people can just find the antidote. The antidote is limited and is used for government officials only as if that will completely wipe out the disease. They would rather save the officials than the citizens who could be way smarter than them. I actually had feelings for Lily before all of this had started, but now I have to push them aside and make sure that we can even survive this. Kana has a friend named Alex that works at a research lab, he thinks maybe we can help him get the antidote so we can research it and find a way to wipe out the disease.

Alex is going to visit soon. He wants to check us all out before we can go to the lab. He wants to make sure we don't have any of the symptoms. I just want to get this all over with and go back to my normal life.