4 Basic Outdoor Survival Concepts

1) Tell Someone Where You Are Going & When You're Coming Back

You've likely heard this before, but it is the most important element to getting you home safely. Share your plans with someone you can trust to contact authorities if you don't return on time. Life-or-death survival situations are often a chain of failures, not one sudden disaster. Don't let this simple step be one of them.

2) The Goal is to be Rescued, Not to Mimic the Star of a Survival TV Show

The best thing you can do is to sit tight, avoid anything dangerous, take care of your essential needs, and make yourself as easy to find as possible. It doesn't matter if you're in a tight spot for a couple hours or a couple days. The strategy remains the same.

3) Most People Lost in the Woods are Found Within the First Two Days

Most people who are lost in the outdoors are found within 48 hours. The odds are onyour side. Survival, therefore, becomes less about what you do than what you don't do.

4) Know S.T.O.P.

The moment you realize you're in a survival situation can also be when your adrenaline makes things worse. Let the panic happen, but stop. 

Stop, as in physically. Give yourself as much time as you need to calm down.

Think about what led up to this point.

Observe your current situation.

Plan your next moves. Use your brain before you use your body.

Keep reading! Pick up a copy of  Outdoor Survival: A Guide to Staying Safe Outside, published by Adventure Publications, at your favorite book retailer. It's a short, 28-page guide that condenses only the most important information into a portable resource.