9 Ways to Use a Vehicle

Stay With the Vehicle

Should your survival scenario involve you and a vehicle, you're in luck. Cars and trucks provide several survival necessities. For that reason, you're better off staying with the vehicle until you can get rescued.

Sticking with your vehicle has many benefits. It provides shelter from the elements, shade from the hot sun, a warm place to sleep, and an easy way to be spotted from the air.

Most of What You Need is Already in the Vehicle

* Mirrors can be removed and used to signal aircraft or start fires.* Horn and car alarm can be used to alert rescuers.* Headlights and taillights can signal searchers in the dark.* Everyday interior garbage and seat cushions provide a dry source of tinder.* In a pinch, you can burn the tires for warmth and to create a thick smoke signal.* Gasoline can be siphoned to use as an accelerant.* Cigarette lighters can be used to light tinder.* The radio provides weather updates.* Vehicles with charging ports can keep cellphones charged.

Keep reading! Pick up a copy of Outdoor Survival: A Guide to Staying Safe Outside, published by Adventure Publications, at your favorite book retailer. It's a short, 28-page guide that condenses only the most important information into a portable resource.