Chapter 24 - Shancai

I rubbed my hands on my pants. They felt clammy. The moment I got into the car and told the driver to bring me to The Peninsula, I was a mass of nerves. It felt unbelievable that I would get my answers so soon and from somebody that I know I could trust.

Thanks to Qinghe. I didn't realize until now how much I miss my friend.

When I woke up from the hospital 10 years ago and learned that I suffered from ammesia, realizing that I remembered Qinghe and Xiaoyou was one of the things that comforted me. They've been my closest friends in high school and I was grateful for the memories they shared when I'd forgotten some parts of it.

When I gained back my memories, just like with Xiaoyou, I also resented him for not telling me about Dao Ming Si. But after all that happened in the last week, I realized I could not fault him for anything.

From the car window, the Bund and its collection of tall and well-lit buildings were getting into closer view.

A memory flashed.

I was admiring the iconic Oriental Tower with its mesmerizing display of lights, while Dao Ming Si smiled softly at my excitement. He brought me there to get me away from a humiliating experience with his mother, but everything after that was perfect.

When he kissed me, I think it was the first time ever that I started believing that he really liked me and that being together was possible.

The driver announced that we had arrived. I thanked him and quickly got out of the car to stand just at the edge of the art deco awning of the hotel.

I stopped short.

Ah Si was standing by the entrance just a few feet away from me. In two strides, he was directly in front of me, peering at my eyes.

"Love, are you sure you're up for this?"

"I'm fine. I feel rested."

I looked at his concerned face, his eyes filled with love and tenderness. At that very moment, something inside me shifted.

I love him. And he loves me. I do believe that he will always love me. No matter what.

"Ah Si," was all I uttered before I brought up my hands and placed them on each side of his face, smiling at his startled eyes. I pulled him down to me and crushed my lips to his.

I kissed him like I've never kissed him before, pouring all my love, regrets, uncertainty and hope into it.

His arms snaked around my waist and pulled me hard against him, leaving no space between us. Then he was sucking on my lip until his tongue is inside, tangling with mine.

I didn't know how long we stood there, lips and bodies locked and moving together, until the sound of an approaching car penetrated my consciousness. We reluctantly broke off the kiss, his lips lingering for a few quick nips before he tightened his arms around me and tucked my head underneath his chin. I sighed, pressing my cheek on his chest as I moved my arms around his waist.

"We should probably get out from here before a hotel staff drags us away." His voice sounded serious, but I could feel his smile on top of my head.

I buried my face deeper into his chest, now mortified to realize that we must have called attention to our display.

After a beat, I loosened my grip around him. I give him a small nod then with his arms firmly around my shoulders, we went inside.

===

Ximen and Meizuo were lounging in the sitting room that has a spectacular view of the Huangpu river and the Pudong skyline across the river. Their eyes went wide in surprise when they saw us come in with arms around each other.