CHAPTER SEVEN

Tuesday, 14th August. Afternoon 

"Awesome," Sergeant McCullough grunted, as he stared up at the three-storey building that constituted the new Law School  at Queen's University. "Glass everywhere." He turned to his young colleague. "It does have walls, right? Have to say it looks very fragile from here." 

McBride grinned. "I've been in it many times, Sarge. It's rock solid."He followed his partner's line-of sight and grinned again. "But I have to say, all that glass, makes you wonder." He moved forward. "We'll go in..."He paused. "...but remember, Sarge, you're doing the talking, right?" 

McCullough nodded importantly, and said, "Sure, kid. No problem."But almost immediately, he added, "This is a law professor we're interviewing, you know. You're a law student. You understand this kinda stuff. If you feel that you'd like to chip in, don't let me stop you." 

"Okay, Sarge. It's this way." 

He led his older colleague through  the ground floor, past some informal student spaces and a café, and on to the upper floors where the School of Law staff had their offices and facilities.After a short walk along an upper corridor, McCullough was already showing signs of breathlessness. McBride pointed. "Those are her offices over there." He stood back with a slightly edgy expression. "You go first,Sarge." 

"Will you quit, kid. It's only an interview. Way you're actin', you've got me nearly up the walls, as well. C'mon, let's go." He strode to the door and knocked firmly. 

A female voice called, "Enter". 

They found themselves in a substantial outer office where three secretaries at separate desks appeared to be working diligently. The one nearest the door, dark haired, thirtyish, wearing a black skirt and white blouse, smiled and said pleasantly, "Hello, can I help you?" 

McCullough showed her his warrant card and said officiously,"Detective Sergeant McCullough and Detective McBride to see Professor Gallagher." 

The girl rose from her chair. "Of course. Just a second." She went to a door in a side wall and knocked gently. She waited a beat and then stepped half-in, holding the door open. She emerged almost immediately and beckoned the two men to the room. "The professor will see you now," she said, and went back to her desk. 

Unsurprisingly, given the huge glass panes that seemed to constitute the walls of the building, the room was airy and very bright, with magnificent views of the city from both sides.The professor was a surprise to McCullough who had been expecting a stumpy, grey-haired, elderly lady. Edith Gallagher was, in fact, still in her late forties and, while her face might have been marred by some slightly cooked teeth and thin lips, it was an intelligent face, an appealing face,characterised by two soulful brown eyes that more than offset any seeming imperfections elsewhere. She had kept her figure trim, her short, chestnut hair elegantly styled and, when she stood up to greet the detectives, they could see that under her black professorial robe, she was wearing a lavender cashmere sweater with a purple skirt that barely reached her knees.

She came forward and offered her hand to both men, saying, in a pleasantly modulated voice, "How do you do, gentlemen? Please sit." She indicated three comfortable but armless chairs that were clustered around a glass-topped coffee table at one side of the room. Before she sat, she added,"Can I get you something to drink, tea, coffee, water?" 

McCullough, who had sucked in his breath in an effort to reduce his girth, uttered a strangled, "No thanks," losing control of his paunch as he did so. He sat down quickly and waited for the professor to join them, trying not to allow his eyes to fasten on the two elegantly crossed legs that suddenly appeared beside him. "We'll try not to keep you too long,Professor," he said, struggling to regain some measure of control.