THIRTY

Wednesday, 22nd August. Afternoon 

"You see," McCullough was explaining to Doran, as they waited, "what we do is get six big guys, roughly the same height and build as your abductor and we—" He looked up as McBride uttered a polite but obviously fake cough. "What is it, son?" 

"Uh, Mr Doran is well qualified in legal matters, Sergeant. He probably knows all about identity parades." 

They stood in a small ante-room in front of a large window that looked into a bare room, at the far side of which was a white wall with height markings on it. Also present in the ante-room was a thin, balding man dressed in a navy, pin-stripe suit. He stared at the others through gold-rimmed glasses, his lips compressed, his bearing vigilant, but he did not speak. He was a solicitor representing Mr Robinson, although neither of the policemen addressed him directly, nor had Doran been introduced to him at that point. 

Doran smiled at McBride. "Obviously I am aware of identity parades and their purpose, Detective, but to be honest, I have never actually been present at one." 

"Well," McCullough said, throwing the solicitor a sideways glance, "there's not much we're allowed to say to you. The process has to be scrupulously fair." He waved a hand at the solicitor. "This gentleman, Mr. Cosgrove, is here to ensure that no rules are broken." 

Doran glanced at Cosgrove. "The suspect's solicitor, I presume?" 

Cosgrove gave no sign he heard him."We're going to bring in six people and line them up at that far wall."McCullough pointed through the window, "And don't worry. None of them can see us. This window's a one-way mirror. You, of course, will be able to see them clearly. But, as I was saying earlier, to be fair to the suspect, all six will be of equal size and similar proportions, and all will be wearing balaclavas." 

"Good gracious!" Doran exclaimed. "I don't think I'd be much help in identifying the man who abducted me if they all look the same." 

"We understand that," McCullough said, "but you did hear him speak,right?" 

"I did. Quite a lot, in fact." 

"That's what we're going to focus on," McBride interjected. "We'll ask each person in the line-up to read a sentence using words that were said to you during the time you were being beaten in that garage. There might be a chance you'll recognise the voice of your abductor." He hesitated when Mr. Cosgrove straightened and moved slightly forward before adding hastily, "However, we have to be scrupulously fair, so neither the sergeant nor I will be allowed to say or do anything that might help you to identify the suspect. Not that we could," he added, again glancing again at Cosgrove. "We're not allowed to know which one he is." 

"Just listen to the voices," McCullough said. "If you're sure that one of the voices you hear is your abductor's, then tell us. If you can't positively identify any of the men in the line-up, that's okay." He shrugged. "We'll have to live with that." He sounded, however, as if living with it was the last thing he wanted. 

"The thing is," McBride added, "we'll need you to be absolutely sure if you identify anyone. Anything less than total certainty won't stand up in court." 

Doran nodded, looking slightly uncomfortable. "I'll do my best, Detective." 

Again, Mr Cosgrove signalled silent disapproval of the tone of the conversation.  

McCullough, watching the solicitor for any reaction, added, "And as Detective McBride said, neither of us knows which of the six is the suspect. So don't be trying to read any imaginary clues from our body language. There won't be any."  

Doran nodded, seeming to steel himself for an ordeal. 

"Okay," McCullough said. Pressing a button, he spoke into a small microphone that was attached to the wall just below the mirror, "Send them in, Officer, please."