Shackles

~Equius' POV~

I'm surprised when Signless moves me off his lap and walks to the bars, then I hear the footsteps. I quickly end the video chat and captalog my husktop. Shifting out of visibility, I move to stand beside Signless, placing my hand over his on the bar just so he knows I'm here. The footsteps grow louder, as well as the voices accompanying them.

"He had better still be able to walk," Darkleer growls to whoever he is with.

"Of course he can still walk," the other person says. "I didn't hurt his legs."

Signless tenses at the second voice. I look up to his face and see nothing but panic and fear. The other man must be Dyrrin. I let go of Signless' hand as he takes a shaky step away from the bars. Then another step. And another. He's visibly shaking. I want to comfort him in some way, but I have to stay hidden. Psiioniic comes up beside Signless and wraps his arms around him. He whispers something, but I can't hear him.

Confident that my guardian is in good hands, I turn my attention back to the two approaching. I teleport out of the cell and down the hall, to the metal door at the entrance to the stairwell. I press myself against the wall and wait. A few seconds later, the door swings open. The two that exit make their way to my family's cell. I silently follow them, not trusting that Signless won't be harmed again.

"Signless," my ancestor addresses, "the Grand Highblood wishes to speak with you."

Signless is frozen in place, fearful eyes locked with Dyrrin's. Said indigo blood, has a sadistic smirk spread across his face. I would love nothing more than to harm him like he did Signless, but I must remain hidden for as long as possible. Luckily, I won't have to reveal myself just yet.

"Why?" Dolorosa inquires, sleep heavy in her voice. She had woken up at the sound of an unfamiliar voice. Next to her, Disciple is starting to wake as well.

"The Grand Highblood's reasoning is none of your concern," Darkleer replies.

Dolorosa is on her feet and glowing now. She marches right up to the bars and growls, "That is my CHILD you are taking away! I DEMAND to know why!"

Both outsiders take a step away from the bars. They've obviously never been in the presence of an angry rainbow drinker before. "Allow me to rephrase my previous statement," Darkleer cautiously responds. "I, myself, am not in a position to inquire as to the Grand Highblood's reasoning, therefore, I do not have the information which you seek. I can only provide that he wishes to speak with Signless before his execution."

He's lying. I know he's lying. I saw how the Grand Highblood acted with Darkleer. I saw how he held him close. Those two are matesprits. Darkleer most likely just didn't want or care to ask.

Before I can do anything regretful, I feel electricity in the air. My eyes dart to Psiioniic. Sparks are flying from the corners of his eyes. He's angry. Like Signless, his eyes are locked on Dyrrin, but not in fear. Psiioniic is glaring at the royal guard in pure, platonic hatred.

"I thought I told you not to hurt Signless," he hisses.

Dyrrin laughs, "I don't take orders from a piss-blood slave like you." He steps closer to the bars. "It's so unfortunate that Ameera showed up before we could have any real fun, mutant," he taunts. "I would've fucked you better than that mate of yours ever could."

~Signless' POV~

My eyes go wide at this statement. He wouldn't have actually done that, right? I lean closer to Psii. There's no way I would be able to defend myself against that sadist, but Psii could. Within seconds, I feel a second pair of arms around me. Disciple growls at Dyrrin as she too holds me protectively. Not even being held by my matesprit and my moirail makes me feel safe.