VIII

On the last day of Lena's stay, upon her departure, neither woman wants to say goodbye.
"Promise That we'll always be friends?" Lena says as she holds Kara close in a tight embrace.
"Forever." Kara says gripping her tighter.   They let go and Lena is about to head toward the awaiting carriage when she remembers.
"Wait I have something for you!"
"Oh! I have something for you too!"
Kara runs back inside to grab hers.
"You go first," Lena's a little nervous, hopefully Kara will like it.
"Okay, I saw this yesterday when we were in town and I thought of you," she says shyly. Lena opens the little box Kara had handed to her, inside is a leather bracelet with a silver charm in the shape of a crescent moon. "You remind me of the moon-" Kara hesitates, nervous, "goodness and light always shining through despite what darkness may surround you."
"I love it, it's perfect! Now look at yours!" Lena is touched, and excited that they shared such similar thoughts. Kara pulls out a nearly identical bracelet, only hers has the sun in place of the moon. "You remind me of the sun. Bright and cheery, you always light up a room, and my day. You are golden and sunshine."
"How did we do this without seeing eachother? This is perfect, they're like friendship bracelets! You're so sweet." They meet in a final embrace before Lena has to depart, and promise to write even more letters and to have another visit soon.