Fire

Fire was a constant companion for Alec.

It was near the Institite fireplace that he had spent time frolicking around with the five year old Izzy, and later on with the baby Max.

It was fire that ringed Alec and Jace when they stood facing each other in their respective circles during the parabatai ceremony, and it was flames that rose up around them in a blinding blaze when they stepped into the larger circle, and exchanged the runes, tying Alec's soul to Jace's for eternity.

It was Magnus's fire-like blue sparks that flew around Alec after the encounter with the Greater Demon in Clary's old house, desperately trying to knit his skin together and heal him, because Magnus could not bear losing him just then, even though they had barely spoken before.

It was the fireplace at Magnus's home that was always warm and welcoming, as if hosting the spirit of Hestia, the Greek Goddess of the Hearth. This fire always warmed him to the bone, irrespective of how he was feeling, made him feel like he belonged there. Like he was home.

It was the flames which flickered in the deep depths of Magnus's green-gold cat eyes, that completely consumed him and before he knew it, he was in too deep. And Alec was willing to do everything in his power to keep the flames in his eyes from going out, to keep Magnus happy, and safe.

It was fire that burned bright on Max's funeral pyre after Valentine's attack, Max's small body providing too less fuel for the fire to be sustained for long. The fire too was snuffed out much too early, just like Max had been.

It was Magnus's fire-like magic that always healed him when he was hurt, which was many times over the years - much too many to count.

It was heavenly fire that had been contained in the sword of the Angels, which had returned Jace back to himself, and which had finally allowed the destruction of Valentine's son Sebastian.

At the wedding ceremony it was Magnus's blue fiery magic that spun and danced around them, flickering in between the torches of fire that had been placed lining a path on the beach. It had burst out in happiness and enveloped all the onlookers, surrounding Alec with warmth, love and acceptance.

It was the fire of memories, the flames of protectiveness and strength, the fire of righteous duty as a shadowhunter that allowed Alec to fight against demons every day without losing heart.

So it was fitting indeed that it was fire that flickered around Magnus's fallen body, draped in white, as Alec screamed and cried for Magnus to get up, for Magnus to look at him one more time, one more kiss, one more hug. It was fire that he saw envelope Magnus's body, the red-orange hue of the funeral pyre, and not the blue of Magnus's magic, which had saved Alec once more but failed to save its wielder.

It was fitting that it was fire into which Magnus disappeared, as if compensating for the loss of fire in Magnus's glassy open eyes. The fire in the green-gold eyes, that never reappeared.

And just like that, fire lost its meaning to Alec. There was no fire in him or around him that fuelled him to move on in life. Everything was dark and cold like the used up fireplace filled with the burnt remains of firewood.