~1~

Trixie woke up with a start, "How long have I been asleep?" she asked herself groggy panic as she sat up in her bed to make sure the lighthouse was still lit. It was her job on stormy nights like this while her father was sleeping in the lighthouse across from the Portland Head. If it wasn't alight she would climb up to the light room and try to figure out what was going on.

 It had never happened before, but tonight felt different. As she got out of bed to look out the window she stopped, she didn't she the normal yellow glow that came into her window, instead she saw a very dim light, from the moon. She sprung into action, she tugged on her boots and grabbed her tool belt then raced out the door. The wind hit her hard and she wished she could grab her coat but there wasn't any time, as she ran the 90 meters to the lighthouse it felt like 90 miles. When she cracked open the door the wind made it fly ajar as she bolted up the 48 stairs to the main room. She climbed the ladder to the light room to find the problem grabbing her tool kit on the way. 

After about 10 minutes of looking for the problem, she found it. The circuit had blown, a problem she could fix with her eyes closed.  She got to work fixing the problem, and in 3 short minutes she was finished, the light flickered back on and she slowly climbed back down the stairs. She walked out of the light house, the wind again hitting her in the face making her hair go wild. 

As she stood at the door to her small house she looked out across the Harbor to see that Ram's Head was still alight, meaning her father was fine. She opened the door, set down her tool belt and kicked off her shoes as she headed back to her bedroom to warm up in her small bed for the next few hours until she really had to wake up for the day.