campfire two

Jonah, Marty and I had gone back our cabin after the last game to change into more appropriate camp fire attire, as we were still wearing shorts and t-shirts and we'd get eaten alive by mosquitoes. Tj left with Madi, something about her wanting to 'congratulate' him, I really didn't want to think about what that meant. When I pulled out my bag I saw that my shampoo opened and leaked all over my only sweatshirt.

"Goddammit! Ugh, why did I only bring one sweatshirt?" I said, frustrated, "You guys go, I'll figure something out and catch up later. They both said goodbye and headed down the path to the campfire. Just as they walked out, Tj walked in.

"Why are you all alone?" He asked me as he started changing out of his day clothes. "Where'd the other two idiots go?" I chuckled. I knew he was kidding, sarcastic humor was my favorite.

"I told them to head off without me, I have to figure something out."

"What?" He said, with a small smile on his face.

"My only sweatshirt seems to have gotten covered in shampoo. Can't really blame anyone else but myself." I took the shirt and laid it out on my bed.

"Why'd you only bring one sweatshirt?" He asked me, perching himself onto Jonah's top bunk above me.

"It was all that fit in my bag. In hindsight I should've just brought a bigger bag."

"Well you can't go out there in a T-shirt. I'm not going to be responsible for your malaria." He joked, then hopped off the bed and reached into his bag. He pulled out a West Burrow High Basketball team hoodie and threw it at me. "Wear this. It'll keep you safe from the bugs."

"You sure?" I asked, "I'll probably need it for the rest of camp."

"Totally sure. Now lets go to the campfire."

The girls caught us on the way down and walked the rest of the way there. Madi immediately clung to Tj's arm, he looked a bit trapped, like he wanted out. I was probably just reading into things though.

When we all got to the fire, we found Marty and Jonah and went to sit by them.

"Is that Tj's sweatshirt?" Jonah whispered to me, with a smirk on his face.

I hit him in the arm, "Shut up. It was the only option, plus he's got a girlfriend who he loves.

"It really doesn't look like he wants to be with her though." He said, sympathetically.

"You see it too? I thought it was just me over-analyzing like usual, but if you noticed too then it must be pretty obvious." We paused to look at the couple, "The other night he told me that they were going through a rough time. Apparently she's not as lovey when they're alone."

"That sucks. Trust me when I say a one sided relationship sucks, a lot." What did he mean by that? The only girlfriends I knew of were him with Andi and Amber. With Andi the person not giving enough was him. And with Amber, well that obviously wasn't anything real.

"Who are you talking about?" I asked, very curious about the girl he never mentioned.

"No one. They don't matter. Our relationship was barely anything."

"Okay dude, whatever you say." I said playfully, trying to be a bit happier, "I bet you're kinda sad that frisbee week is over."