Deserve Your Silence

A/N: Wow, it's been almost a year since I updated this one-shot collection. I never meant to have it be so long! I was on a roll writing these until the heatwave hit last summer and I couldn't sleep/think for several months much less write. Then this piece I eventually got to writing has been tricky to finish.

I toyed with the idea of not including this chapter in the fic, because it is very different in tone to the other chapters and has Savifrost implied too but decided it is still Savisnow, however tragic. But I warn this is very dark and is not at all happy. Savitar isn't redeemed in this and it's heavy angst for Caitlin, including what could be considered major character death (via death of personality), so if that's not something you want to read you may want to skip this chapter.

Also, S4 spoilers ahoy! Set in the original timeline that was referenced in 3x19 by future!Barry, where Savitar and Killer Frost teamed up for 4-5 years until Barry finally took him down, not having known who he was. DeVoe also happened then as far as the show implied, since Abra Kadabra mentioned both Savitar and DeVoe as Barry's biggest foes, plus Savitar mentioned DeVoe in 3x23. This is assuming that Savitar and KF cross paths with DeVoe eventually and that what happens in 4x18 with Frost disappearing also happens in this doomed timeline too but for different reasons and in a very different context.

Big thanks to both shyesplease and unwittingcatalyst for betareading and helping me finally finish this.

---

In all the time since he killed Iris West, Savitar and Killer Frost have been virtually unchallenged. The Flash has tried and failed to ensnare him multiple times, growing more pathetic in each of his attempts and creeping closer to being who Savitar needs him to be. He's still waiting patiently for the day Barry recognizes exactly how broken he is and judges himself, themselves , worthless enough to be expendable in his pursuit of revenge. The thought of it haunts Savitar bizarrely, a double-edged sword of heady need and deep revulsion.

Lately Barry's been too caught up with another foe, DeVoe, a fact that Savitar has used to his advantage. DeVoe has all but ignored him and Frost, until now. Savitar finds himself crushed to the floor, body like lead as Killer Frost attempts to spear DeVoe with an icicle. She's too wrapped up in a desire to hurt, her special brand of cold rage pointedly directed at DeVoe in retaliation, to think straight it seems. But then she doesn't know DeVoe, she never lived through that part of Team Flash history like he did, when he was first Barry. He sees her mistake too late and can do nothing to stop it – she touches DeVoe.

"Melt," DeVoe intones somberly yet with satisfaction.

Just like that Frost is gone. A shellshocked Caitlin Snow stands in the decrepit warehouse that is their lair and DeVoe blips back to his pocket dimension without a further word.

Savitar's trapped, waiting for DeVoe's power stolen from Null to wear off, when he hears her start to sob. Caitlin crumples to her knees and he hears the choked gasps between the heaves as she tries to regain control of her emotions. She fails and so he is a captive audience to her breakdown.

He hasn't seen anyone cry in years, except Barry whose pain he is inured to. He hasn't seen Caitlin Snow in years. He honestly never expected to come face to face with her, not in this part of the loop at least. He'd really rather not sit and listen to her but he has no choice. The rawness of her cries dredge up feelings he had done so well to banish – he can't afford empathy with the plan he's had in mind, but she is there and he is at the mercy of her spectacle until he is free. She pays him no mind at all, he'd almost feel insulted if he truly cared what she thought of him.