pit of dispair

As she walks back through the woods, everything around her disappears. She is still in her dark place even though she went to her swamp. It helped only a tiny bit, but there is clearly so much more to go. It's been a long week of hearing this one person over and over again. It need not be bothered to even mention who this person is, as they are part of a different realm entirely. So naming names will not do any good. Regardless, it still hurts and it still stays with her. No matter where she goes. She tries hard to not let it get to her. But she just can't help it sometimes.

The forest path becomes solid dark dirt, packed down and worn. The trees that surrounded her seconds before, dissolve into blackness. Had she slipped into a portal on the island without realizing it again? She had stumbled on many a portals like that in her youth. But, she had grown to be alert and more careful. She cautiously looked around.

Her she wolf is no longer walking alongside her. She disappeared for the time being, feeling she was alright for the moment. But, apparently that was not necessarily the case. The blackness slowly took the form of a solid wall before her. Then, it slowly engulfed her, wrapping all around her and enclosing her inside a tall, circular wall. She stares in front of her and then slowly turns around, seeing the wall that has formed before her. She breathes a deep, frustrated sigh. "Not this again," she frowns and leans her head against the wall. This is her pit of despair, her pool of confusion; of dread and pain. She hasn't seen this place in quite some time. She had half hoped that she was done with this dreadful place.

This is a taunted, tormented way into her mind. She never felt she could ever escape this place when she crawled back into here. The pit of tall walls would change into a door of light, only to tease her. For when she makes to head towards it, it would switch right back to those very same walls once again. She punches the wall with her first. She screams as loud as she dared to do so. She was no longer in the mood for such foul games.

Her screams resonate and echo back from the walls. Nothing changes however. She screams again as she punches the wall once more. "Why! Why can't they not be this way?" She screams again and then she throws her fist against her chest. Without thinking, she slips her hand into the flesh of her chest, wrapping her fingers around her heart and yanking it out swiftly. Without even blinking, she flings her heart against the wall, letting out a blood curtailing scream with it. She smashes her heart against the wall, to only see it fall limp and unharmed at her feet.

"I don't want to feel this any more! Make it all go away! Make this feeling be gone from me!" She rips at her dress skirt as she screams, unable to think of what to do with herself. She throws her hands into her hair, tugging at it from the scalp of her head as she falls to her knees. She doesn't notice the blood being streaked through her blonde hair from her hands when she had just ripped out her heart. The tears flowing like wine from a freshly opened barrel.

She rests her head in her hands as she sits on her knees, the pit becoming darker all around her.
She wishes for arms to just hold her and say everything will be alright. That it is all ok. But, she is trapped in her own pit of depair for now. And no one can come inside where she is, she has crawled too far back within herself to be reached for now.

This is where Alice goes mad. Where even the poor old hatter will not dare to enter for he is even afraid to follow her down this private rabbit hole of hers. No one ever dares to enter this hole she has built over time. This became her own place, to trap her within, always. With no real, true way out. She will always end up back here. There is no escaping it.

Finally, the tears stop streaming down her face and she calms for the moment. She looks up and sees her heart laying lifeless on the ground. She sighs and picks it up, shoving it back inside her chest as though nothing ever happened.

She takes in a deep breath and the walls fade back into the forest of trees once again. She tilts her head slightly in wonder. She shakes her head just as quickly, pushing away any thoughts from her mind and continues on her way, smoothing out her skirts as she goes. She sees the blood remaining on her fingers, and she wipes them off within the folds of the skirt, so no one will notice and ask what she has been up to. She is half surprised that she is allowed to leave so easily this time, but she will not stop to question such a thing for now. For now, she only wishes to be home. She has had enough of being trapped in her rabbit hole and longs to make it all just disappear completely for a time.