2.

Subtle rumbling. A sudden jolt every so often. The sound of gravel, wind and a purring engine. All of this meets Tully's senses, beckoning her out of her slumber. Her eyelids ease open, met with the back of the driver's seat as well as some rays of light, indicating the morning sun. She blinks - once, twice, three times. She suddenly shoots up, gasping as she remembers all that had happened before she passed out.

"Ma!"

"Relax," Zee says, her voice stern. A glimpse of her face through the rearview mirror and it's evident she's in no mood for talking.

"I'm sorry, Ma. I should've paid more attention."

Zee sighs. "This is not a road trip. It just isn't. Realise that now and save us the trouble."

Tully sinks back into her seat, her body still numb from the pain. She takes another look at the rearview, the forest barely visible in the horizon. On either side of the car, fields of light orange grass stretch for miles, sloping up and down and disappearing into the distance. A sign up ahead tells of a town only a few kilometres away.

"Hope Town," the sign reads, "11kms."

"Is that where we're going?" she asks.

"Yeah. We need to get you looked at. We're running low on supplies too."

Tully feels a sense of relief. It'd be nice to meet some people that aren't trying to kill them. But, like her mother said, this is about survival. You can't really let your guard down.

She rubs her hands, the violent jolt of gunfire still echoing through her veins.

***

"Troublemakers Beware" the sign on the rusty swing-gate reads as they enter Hope Town - or, rather, one of its cemeteries.

Rows of small tombstones jut out from the fields on either side of the road. Tully manages to read one which lists the person's transgressions.

"A liar and thief."

Hope is known for its zero-tolerance of trespassers. This keeps the sort out but also establishes an atmosphere of foreboding; all who live here learn to tread lightly. This atmosphere, along with the tombstones that greet all new-comers, seems to contradict the town's name. At least, this is what Zee and Tully think as they drive through the ghastly cemetery.

"Jesus," Tully whispers, "what..the fuck?"

"We're not staying long," Zee says. "We get supplies, we get gas and we leave." She's apprehensive, noting how certain tombstones read something along the lines of:

They seemed like trouble.

"We sure we wanna be here?" Tully asks.

"You're still recovering; bread and water aren't gonna cut it. Besides, I'm not sure when we're gonna get another chance to stock up."

"Yeah, I guess. I'm just...getting bad vibes."

"Me too. We're in and out, as usual."

To the left, near the edge of the cemetery, an individual stands over a tombstone as if paying respects. It's a sad sight but also beckons Zee to question what kind of a place would kill the loved ones of its residents - seemingly over trivial affairs. It's true that these are dangerous times, no-one knowing what the Moon might bring, where each threat may come from. Thus, trust is crucial for the survival of such a large community. But such savagery...

It's hard to believe any of the town's residents feel safe.

There's another gate up ahead that enters into Hope. Two men are stationed there, their guns drawn and both of them stretching out a hand, motioning for the wagon to halt. Zee stops the car.