7: Hopefulness

It was amazing how Iori prepared everything in one night. He helped Riku pack, and he packed his own things. Of course, Riku insisted that they purchase PythaTrio concert tickets as well. Not even Iori could win over Riku's stubbornness. The next morning, the couple set off for the city where Riku once lived.

Riku's breathing was quite unstable that day. Both Iori and Riku knew by now that it was 'one of those days' when Riku was just more ill than usual. Unfortunately, even modern medicine could not help ease Riku's pain any more than this.

His condition was only getting worse, and too quickly for anyone's liking.

Riku tried his best to get comfortable in the car, but Iori could see the older boy was struggling.

"Iori, can you put some music on?" Riku asked so that music would help take Iori's mind off him a little. I know Iori always acts strong for me.

Iori put MEZZO on. Riku, thanks for worrying about me. After a while, he decided to start a conversation. "Riku, what should we do first when we get to the city?" There were still a few days left before PythaTrio's concert.

"Mmm, I want to see Yaotome-san but I don't want to see Tenn-nii just yet. Tenn-nii would probably never let me do anything if he saw me like this." Riku spoke, feeling a little heavyhearted and sleepy.

"Riku," Iori wished he could look directly at Riku but he had to concentrate on driving. "Don't you think you should talk to Tenn-san about how you feel?"

"What do you think Mitsuki-san would do if he found out you were dying?" Perhaps Riku phrased it a little too bluntly.

"Riku, you are terrible." Iori let his sharp tongue work. "He would probably want to spend time with me 24/7." and that's what I want to do with you, baka.

"Tenn-nii thinks he's protecting me when he's the one who needs to be protected." Riku took a big breath in. "He's an angel who would do anything for me."

Riku curled into a ball in an angled car seat. "I know I need to tell him about my illness but I kind of wish for him to ask me first. He's so focused on making me feel better that he has forgotten about my feelings. Not only that, he prevents me from reaching out to him too."

Iori decided in an instant to park the car at the rest stop just ahead. He took off his seatbelt and leaned his body towards the older boy. He cradled Riku's shoulder. Gently and carefully, Iori pulled Riku into a kiss. Iori knew he could not do that for long, so he released Riku for him to catch his breath.

"I-Iori,*huff puff* what did..?" For once, Iori was not the one blushing, it was Riku. Iori grabbed one of Riku's arms and squeezed it tightly.

"Riku, listen, I care about your feelings more than anything. And I know how strong you are. I know when you need a shoulder to cry on. You also know when I need you by my side. I cannot ever be your brother's replacement. That would not be right, but I want you to know that wherever you go, whatever you do, I will always support you."

Riku's tears started flowing down. He put his cheek on Iori's arm. "Thank you, Iori... Thank you."

The older boy decided. "Iori, let's go see Tenn-nii."

~~

Iori parked his car at one of the most humongous and elegant buildings in the city. The dark-haired boy was in awe. He knew NanaseJewel's business was massive, but he did not expect it to be this huge.

Riku had the owner access key so he could enter the building with ease. The chandeliers inside showed true exquisiteness. The red carpet and gold decorations made the whole place look absolutely grand as if the two were walking inside the palace. It did not take too long for the couple to arrive at Tenn's office.