01

“I’m not messing with you, man!” Adrian screeched. His waning puberty echoed as punctuated, squeaky proof that he was being genuine. He cursed to himself as he shuffled around in his backpack for the alleged “capture.”

“Whatever, dude.” Luke replied, and sighed. He turned away from Adrian's dramatic outburst to stare out the window. The bus gave one last hiss, one last whine, and rambled off the school lot.

“I’m telling you,” Adrian continued, his enthusiasm was growing. “It’s a legit as shit screenshot. I found it on some ghetto Russian site. I was half asleep when I found it. Link to link. I couldn’t even tell you how I got there, but I saved the url and the jpeg. You have to see this!”

Luke shook his head sadly. “This again. DUDE! Why are you letting this get to you? It's a hoax! It was verified forever ago. The whole thing has gone on for too long without any proof. It has to be a hoax!”

“You'll see,” Adrian swatted at his negativity. He was tired of trying to sell it. He’d let the picture speak for itself. Old math papers and half-asleep-doodles slipped out of his bag and seesawed to the floor as he looked.

“PLEASE! Please don’t tell me we’re spending another whole Friday at your house browsing shitty sites about an urban myth that you and I both KNOW is a joke!” Luke put his hands in the air. “Do you know what NORMAL people do when they have the house to themselves on a Friday? No parents to worry about!?!”

Luke looked over but Adrian wasn't listening. He was silent and still, holding a slightly crumpled piece of paper in his hand. Adrian's eyes widened as he looked at it.

Without taking his eyes off the paper, he spoke slow. "Found it."

As he handed Luke the print-out, he slid his backpack onto the bus floor and sat down next to him, like a single look of the image had taken all the energy out of him suddenly.

Luke took it into his hands, momentarily making contact with one of Adrian's cold, dry fingers.

At first all Luke could see was a black and white blob, but there was something about it, even before he could make out what it was, that made his heart leap into his throat and the hair on his arm stand up. Something... real... with pain.

When it came into focus, his stomach dropped.