Chapter 17: you sold me out

“You own a plane?” he looks around and I take his hand and lead him to one of the seats.

“No, it’s um, its Masons.”

“So you just called him up and he sent you his plane.”

I chuckle “are you jealous?”

“Of Mason Newman? The Movie star slash heartthrob billionaire? Yes, a little.”

“I’m your girlfriend, not his.” I remind him

He nods.  “I know.”

I don’t reply how do I prove to him that I’m in this just as much as he is?  Sam sits in a chair behind us and buckles himself in. I place both hands on my arm rests and lean my head back as the plane taxis down the runway. I hate this part. Landing is ok because that means it’s over but take off means it’s the beginning and I hate it. I feel his hand cover mine and he laces his fingers with mine.

“Are you okay?” he asks, I shake my head and keep my eyes closed. “Charlie, look at me.” I open my eyes and turn my head. He’s smiling, and he squeezes my hand. I look at his eyes and get lost in them, I could look at this view for the rest of my life. After a while the stewardess walks in

“You can move around the plane now Miss. Daniels”

“We’re in the air?” I didn’t even feel the take-off.

“Yes, ma’am, we should be in New York at the scheduled time.”

I smile at her “thank you Amy.”

“Can I get you anything?”

I look at Derek and he shakes his head “a candy bar would be nice.”

She looks uncomfortable “I’m so sorry Charlie, Mr. Newman asked me to remove all chocolate from the plane.”

Of course he did, seriously Mason have you not learned? “That’s fine Amy, thank you.”

She smiles and disappears to the front of the plane.

“What does he have against chocolate?” Derek asks

“Nothing, he just thinks he’s being funny because he knows I hate flying and chocolate calms me down.” I get up and walk back to the Cupboards and open the bottom one where the safe is. “Bingo.”

“What are you doing?” Derek asks as I put in the code and open the door. I pull out my treasure, a bag of fun size Twix. And I sit on the ground facing him.

Derek laughs “he keeps those in the safe?”